Flaws in the reporting about Private Lynch's rescue?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DaveBB, May 16, 2003.

1. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

Looks like the BBC has found out that it looks like the PFC Jessica Lynch rescue story was faked.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programme...nt/3028585.stm

Wonder if this story will get picked up by the US press?

(Please don't turn this into a political debate so the thread gets shut down.)

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

3. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

I wouldn't be surprised if the rescue story was faked or staged. It made really good PR for the war machine, didn't it?

4. Michael Reuben

5. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

There's just as much of a chance that this is anti-US propaganda. It could be that the doctors really did try to take good care of her, and they just resent the way they've been portrayed in the media.

As for her injuries, what do the Iraqis claim happen? How did she get that injured in a traffic accident? That seems suspicious. The fact that she can't recall her rescue also shows that she went through a lot of trauma.

6. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Let's look at this story. If it were true, the following would have to be true also:

The US military would have to use it's highest trained Navy Seals and Delta Force operatives to stage a "rescue" for propaganda purposes. There would have to be absolutely no other mission they were capable of, that took precedence, in a hot war zone. Let's see, what can we have Delta do today? Take the oil wells? - Nope. Infiltrate Baghdad and laze targets? - nope. Go to western Iraq and do commando style raids on missle launchers? - nope. I know, let's stage a raid on an unprotected hospital, make them carry blanks and storm the place, in enemy territory, completely unarmed and making a hell of alot of noise, (cause that would be real smart when you are carrying blanks), then we'll use it for propaganda purposes - Yeah, that's how we should waste the time of Seals and Delta.

Occam's Razor, people, Occam's Razor. Maybe, just maybe, they used the military's best and brightest to get one lone soldier out of danger and back into safe hands because THAT IS WHAT THEY DO!!!! [​IMG]

7. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    All the news organizations are in such a frenzy to scoop each other that there are very few stories reported accurately from the very start. They start with a rumor, or a scrap of info from an unidentified sixth-party source, run like crazy with it then fill in the facts later.

8. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Long? I read that just a week or so after the rescue. Can't remember where now, but I remember thinking "This will never be reported by anyone else".

I don't care how or if she was rescued, I'm just glad she's home and OK.

9. Michael Reuben

10. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

11. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I have to say that my favoriate part of the article is the Pentagon being influenced by Jerry Bruckheimer. True or hype makes no difference—very funny concept.

Perhaps next, the President’s science advisors will be influenced by Armageddon. [​IMG]

12. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I read it in the British paper The Times. The article is not available on their website anymore (they keep only one week of articles there), but is referenced here: http://www.thetruthseeker.co.uk/article.asp?ID=708

It was published April 16th.

/Mike

13. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

I watched a movie the other day called Changing Channels, old 80's movie with Kathleen Turner and Burt Reynolds. It was a satire about people in the news industry and as funny as it was it was in many ways sadly true. I have a friend here at work who does not even give notice to american media but only reads and watchs media from outside the US its amazing how different the storys come out in different areas.

14. Steve Enemark

Steve Enemark Second Unit

15. Tommy Ceez

Tommy Ceez Second Unit

16. Michael Reuben

17. MickeS

MickeS Producer

The question of whether they fired blanks or not is a very minor one, IMO. I think the doctor who said that might have been wrong.

The really interesting part of the story is not whether they fired blanks during the rescue, but the (from what I've seen) facts about how Lynch was really treated, and the fact that no rescue was even needed, since she was supposed to be delivered to the US military anyway.

I can't blame the military, they did what they felt they needed to do. The main problem is that they were allowed to tell their story to journalists who didn't seem to question it. This whole "embedding" thing obviously works for the military's PR purposes, but it's a big blow to "journalistic integrity".

18. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Just like the "journalistic integrity" that allows a BBC reporter to report as fact the obvious propaganda that the rescuers fired "blanks" as truth without offering or even investigating an alternative to this absurd notion? Or even make the assertion that the rescue was "faked"? She was rescued, how can a rescue be "faked" when it accomplished it's goal?

19. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

20. andrew markworthy

Just to put all of this in perspective. BBC TV reported this story at the weekend as part of a larger programme about the handling of the media by the Coalition armed forces. There was a lot of stuff about how the news from the war was manipulated (e.g. reports were released that key locations had been taken before the action had happened, which became a little awkward when the actions failed ...). The story about Private Lynch was given as an example of how the truth was distorted. However, tales of how this had been rather 'Hollywoodised' have been doing the rounds in the British media for some time before this.

I don't know why people find any of this unusual. Practically every news story is manipulated somehow. My personal experience (and I guess that of practically anyone else) of being an eyewitness to various events that have then been reported in the media is that they are manipulated to fit a manageable story. This isn't necessarily done for propaganda purposes, but simply because media people cannot afford to overestimate the intelligence of the average reader/listener/viewer. Users of HTF tend on the whole to be an intelligent bunch. We may be patriotic for our respective countries, but we're prepared to see good in other nations, and would be prepared to accept that not every Iraqi soldier or civilian is without honour, and likewise, that not every member of the Coalition was heroic. However, that is literally too much information for many people to take in. Arguably it's better for a simple tale to be told and understood than a too complex tale that will inevitably be misunderstood by the majority. those with more enquiring minds can find out the fuller picture easily enough.