Flaunce vs. BIC for 5.1+music

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Brad_See, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Brad_See

Brad_See Stunt Coordinator

Hey all! This is my first post here and I joined basically to ask this question but I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future. I'm about to start a piece by piece replacement of my current HT speakers as we move from an apartment into a new house. I am on a budget though so I'm thinking either BIC or Fluance. The first thing I'm replacing is a center channel and I'm looking at either the Fluance AV-SC or the BIC DV62CLRs. If I get the Fluance then I'll eventually fill out the front and rears with (probably) 4 identical Fluance bookshelf speakers (perhaps SV-6?) and likewise with the BIC except I'll fill it out with identical BIC bookshelf speakers (maybe DV62si). My new living room is going to be fairly small and close to square. Space for speakers is limited due to fireplace and layout so I'll probably hand the rears from a wall or ceiling sort of angled at the couch and the fronts will be either hanging as well or on shelves. My receiver is a Sony STR-DE885 and my DVD player is an older Pioneer DV-525. Doesn't matter what my current speakers are as I'm replacing ASAP. My price range is about what the Fluance and BICs cost at acousticsounddesign.com (100 to 120 per pair of bookshelf speakers and about 100 for the center channel). I want to listen to music as well as get great movie sound on this system. I was planning on getting low-end Polk before I started hearing so much about BIC and Fluance.

So...which one would you take in a showdown? The Fluance speakers above or the BICs? It's shootout time!

EDIT: Oh yeah...I also have a Dayton Audio 10" 100 watt subwoofer.

brad cook

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Well in a showdown i'd take the BICs because they're quicker on the draw... although the Fluances do have better aim... is this a street gunfight or indoors?

Sorry, couldn't resist old west humor [​IMG]

As far as the Fluance stuff goes, I don't think I would start with the center and try to fill in around it because their center isn't voice matched to any of their other speakers. If you like the SV-6 then I would recommend starting with a pair, then adding 2 more pair later on (using one as a center and another as the back center) for 6 perfectly matched speakers. You can also buy them individually if you just want 5.1. They say their releasing a SV center in the next 6 months, but who knows whether it'll be voice matched to the SV-6 bookshelf (which is voice matched to the towers from the SX-HTB, go figure) or the SV-10 tower speakers (not matched to anything else they carry)

Hope this helps [​IMG]

3. Brad_See

Stephen,

That's good to know...actually now that you mention it I think I'd heard the lack of voice-matching thing mentioned before but forgot. Is their center channel matched to any of their other speakers? I ask because honestly I think my wife would appreciate the aesthetics of an actual center channel speaker as opposed to a bookshelf speaker on top of the TV (Which is what I have now). I know that sounds silly but oh well. The reason I'm starting with the center channel is that I'm about to lose the speaker I'm using currently for that purpose because we're going to sell the stereo system that it goes with. So I'm buying a center channel now and replacing the rear speakers not too far down the line and then the front speakers. Thanks for your comments they were indeed helpful.

brad cook

ps - BTW, I'm big into shooting so I can appreciate your dumb old west comments [​IMG]

4. marc_manny

marc_manny Stunt Coordinator

Brad

I just put in an order for the SX-HTB from Fluance. It is a complete set of 5 speakers all voice matched ($259.99). There is one problem of course and that is that there is a 6-8 week waiting period currently for the SX series. I have 4-6 weeks left, and running my pioneer 912 receiver off of my cheap-o HTiB stinks.

Marc

5. Brad_See

Marc,

Any word on how good those sound for CD music? Have you heard them vs. the BICs? Thanks for the input.

brad cook

6. marc_manny

marc_manny Stunt Coordinator

Brad I stand corrected. The Fluance web site states they are "Matched Five Speaker System for Home Cinema", but it doesn't state what they match. It could be that they just all look the same. Beech

I have not heard them yet. I bought them because of the price and I have honestly not read a single bad review about them. Not one. I know they are not top of the line, but it seems for the price they cannot be beat.

Marc

7. David Willow

David Willow Babbling Idiot

Dave
    Why not ask Fluance? They have been very responsive to my questions.

I have the SX-HTB with the with the AV-SC center. It sounds fine.

Here is the response I got from Fluance when I asked about replacing the center with the AV-SC:

8. Brad_See

I still haven't really heard from anyone who's ever heard both the Fluance and the BICs and can compare. Anyone? Anyone?

brad cook

9. Brad_See

Man...I'm really just having some trouble deciding. I start to lean towards the BICs when I read the stats and the higher sensitivity and wider frequency range but then I start to read about the Fluances with their Neodynium tweeters and (what sounds like) high quality crossovers (and damn if those SV-6's aren't pretty!) and I start to lean towards those...I really wish I could hear these side by side! I guess I could order them both and send one set back but that's just too much trouble for someone as lazy as me.

brad cook

10. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Welcome to HTF first off:

I don't think you can go wrong when starting out on a small budget with either the Bic's or Fluance.

I have heard both, but not the Fluance models your looking into. Also the Bic's I listened to at (least a year plus ago, also they where the modified version by oh whats his darn his name), so trying to answer your side by side listen test, I can't.

JMO
    I would go with which ever is most pleasing to the eye to you.

Also the Fluance model your looking into are not the ones I listened too, and are a step up for sure from the entry level HT box set up I bought my nephew a year plus ago.

Maybe someone will come along a give you a side by side take, but that just it, it's their personal opinion. Like you, I've never read anything bad about any of the Fluance speakers aside from a few complaints on their centers.
    And I really think their going to do something about that, as mentioned up above. They definitely do need a ~{higher end Center Speaker to matchup with the better speaker lines}~ that they sell outside the HT-Box sets.

Sorry not much help with your question, but I'd go with what you like visually, I personally belve both (brands models) are very close in their price to performance ratios....

Regards
    Geoff

11. MattD

MattD Stunt Coordinator

It's Ed Frias who modifies the BIC crossovers. I own BIC speakers and am happy with the performance.

12. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Thanks Matt, yup thats the Bic man! His crossover tweaks did make a difference in the speaks I listened to.

He had one set done and the other still stock, tho was getting ready to send them to him for the same mod. He sent the whole speakers the first time but if I remember correctly he said he could just send the boards on the second set.

The sound difference was not life changing, but was "noticable" for sure.

The electronics he was running in front of the Bics where, well lets just say very low end. So the Ed Frias mod might make quite a difference if his power source and transport where a touch higher up the line. I read about Ed's Bic work at audio Review and even in some articles I've run across on the net. Bic speaker owners in general, seem to really praise the difference his mods make in their speakers.

Specificaly the bookies I belive, not sure if he is still doing the mods or not.....

Cheers
    Geoff

13. MattD

MattD Stunt Coordinator

Yes, he is still doing the mods. I just ordered a new BIC center from him.

14. Brad_See

MattD,

What does he charge for the tweaked centers?

brad cook

15. MattD

MattD Stunt Coordinator

Brad I sent you a PM with the pricing info.

16. Brad_See

Well, I'm leaning towards the BIC America speakers.. They are a long-established company and I haven't heard one negative thing about them. It's hard to believe they keep their stuff so cheap considering all the varied reviews I'm hearing over a spectrum of websites, all of which are extremely positive. I still haven't found anyone on any website that has heard both Fluance and BIC and can compare. The Fluance seem awfully nice on paper, however the reviews, while mostly really good, haven't been as consistent and plentiful as the BICs. Also, the BIC's also have slightly better specs (once again, that's just on paper). Wish I could hear both of them. I also wish BIC's bookshelf speakers were as pretty as the Fluance SV-6's!

brad cook

17. Raj_asaurus

Raj_asaurus Stunt Coordinator

I hear the pics on the web of the BICs dont do them justice. I am going to grab up some Ed Frias "extensively modified speakers" aka EFE Technology speakers once he tweaks them for about 250. I hear that his tweaks give a better mid and low range and take the edge off the bloody high range.

18. Brad_See

MattD,

Thanks for the PM.

Interestingly, I found one guy on the internet who makes a pretty good case that the stock BIC 62 center channel sounds "better" than the Frias modified BIC. Of course that's all subjective but it's interesting reading nonetheless:

slottweak.com/bic/bic.htm

brad cook

Edit: You'll have to cut and paste and add the 3 w's in front. The board still won't let me post URL's even though I have more than 15 posts here.

19. Raj_asaurus

Raj_asaurus Stunt Coordinator

Yeah I have actually read something like this at the audioreview site. Its hard to say. It depends on how bright you like your speakers I suppose? I wonder how Ed would respond to this. Maybe I'll send him the link and see what he says?

20. MattD

MattD Stunt Coordinator

Link for the Lazy

I have looked at the site in the past. It really comes down to what your preferences are. One man's noise is another man's music. I did have a listen to my speakers before I had them modified by Ed and did find the highs a bit harsh. Others may appreciate the stock sound (like the author of the above site). After the mods the highs were smoothed out and the midrange was more pronounced. That's just my opinion so YMMV.

Matt