What's new

Flat versus standard cables (1 Viewer)

Bob Massey

Auditioning
I am setting up a home theatre. I have limited options for the wiring to my 6.1 speakers. Have noticed that most cable manufacturers offer a flat or ribbon cable, usually 12 gauge. Could anyone comment on whether I am giving up a lot by using this cable for 10-20 foot runs versus using the standard round cables supplied by the same manufacturers? I will be driving my speakers with a Yamaha RVX300 (100 watts per channel max).

Thanks,

Bob

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Bob,

Guage is guage; the reference standard refers to a wire’s current-carrying capability. It doesn’t matter if a cable is round, flat or square.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

P.S. Welcome to the Forum!

Bob Massey

Auditioning
I cannot give you an answer yet as I have not unpacked it. I was impressed with specs and was available at a good price since they are no longer being manufactered. So I purchased to make sure I would have it before all gone. Still about two weeks away from the smoke test. Can update you then,

Bob

Bob Massey

Auditioning
Thanks Wayne for the welcome and your response.

I guess I was thinking in terms of shielding etc. I know several years back people routinely used linecord of sufficient gauge (12 or so). But now I see this huge market of 'super' cables and the ribbon they provide would seem to be lacking in terms of shielding etc. compared to their standard round super cables. Maybe I am concerned over nothing. I probably could go the large round cable route but it would require more work. If I'm not going to gain that much then I'd just as soon stay with the ribbon.

Bob

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Bob,

Don’t know where you heard all this, but shielding is only an issue with interconnects because they carry low-level signals. Amplifier outputs are high-level signals, so typically speaker cable is not shielded. Occasionally speaker cable can act like an antenna and pick up RF, but that is very rare.

Bottom line, you should have no problems with the flat cable.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks