What's new

Flat speaker wire ??? (1 Viewer)

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
I will be wall mounting my new JBL E10's for surrounds.

I live in an apt, so I am limited to using my white, flat speaker cable. Obviously, I am going to have to run the wire up the walls.
I am wondering what you might sugest I use to secure the wire to the wall so it does not flop around.

Basically, white painted walls. I was figuring to use some double sided tape on some sections of the wire (not on all of the wire, maybe spaced out a foot or so.

ANy suggestions? I do not want to use the wire tracks as I would need quite a bit and it would get $$$.

Double sided tape the way to go? If so, any specific type?
If not, what do you recommend?

Thanks.

Jose G

Supporting Actor

I've done this in the past and it worked well, but I ran the wire up the corners of the wall and then down from the ceiling so they wouldn't show as much. I've also used wire tracks but they were too bulky. It sounds like you already have the wire, but they do sell a really thin flat speaker wire that already comes with the double sided tape. Do a search for it. Since you already have the wire, go double sided tape- make sure to get the stronger one.

By the way, how do you like those E10's? I saw them for $99 from jr.com and thought I would pick them up for my cousin.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the help.

Should I use the straight up double sided tape, not the foam double sided right?
Did you apply the tape to the entire length of the wire, or just in sections?

Yes, already have the wire from long ago (unused).

I haven't received the E10's yet, hoping to by the weekend.
They sounded decent the times I have demo'd them. They should be fine for surrounds (placing them on side walls, few " below ceiling, about 1 foot behind listening position facing each other.

I figure they should sound REAL nice with my E80 mains and EC35 center :)

Also thinking about picking up a use Nseries center for a center back.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
I've read that the E series is the updated N series and that they should match well, in terms of timber. If this is wrong, someone please feel free to correct this. I did use the straight up double tape when I did this but it was extra hold- or something like that. I found the foam tape didn't work well for me- but it was regular stick foam. Good luck! Oh, yeah, I was also reading about routing (actually with a dremel) a groove in the dry wall (if you have dry wall) and plastering up the wire in that groove. Now that's commitment!
José

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Commitment I can't make in a house I do not own :)

Yes, the Eseries is the updated N from what I have read also.

I am going to start with the E10's for now and see if I can get the center cheap (may still be able to get a E25 center from Compusa for $75. If that is the case, I may put it behind my sectional (which is about 1.5-2ft from back wall)on floor (or stand actualy) firing up towards ceiling.
either that or maybe find some N24's and do it with 1 (firing up) ntil I get a 7.1 receiver (1015 Tx ina few months when released).

All in all, I am pretty pleased with the sound of these JBL's, especially for the $$$.

The entire 5.1 (inculding E80 towers and the top model e35 center) cost me less then $600 total.

Tought to beat that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks