Flat screen....why do I need it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Sorenson, Jun 12, 2001.

1. David Sorenson

David Sorenson Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking to get a new TV soon. Currently I'm leaning towards the 36" toshiba which I can get for around $800.
    I've seen the Sony WEGA's. The flat screen is cute and all, but why would I spend the extra dough for it? I can understand there will be a slightly better picture since there will be no warping of the image. I also realize that there will be a slight difference in reflections. But is it really needed? What else do I get?
    Please enlighten me.
    ------------------

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I wasn't sure I needed to spend that much for a flat screen either, but the reduction in glare alone is worth it.
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)

3. Ken Stuart

Ken Stuart Second Unit

I just replaced my non-Wega Sony with a Wega, and I can state that it is not a minor difference.
    The TV has exceptional focus across the entire image, and that combined with the flatness makes it seem much more "film-like". The rectangular screen becomes like a transparent window through which you directly see the original image.
    I recommend that no one dismiss the flat screens unseen, and that you compare the flat and non-flat sets at length in a store before making a purchase.

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer