What's new

Flat Screen TV questions. Video guys needed (1 Viewer)

Jeff Sch.

Stunt Coordinator
I use a 36" Panasonic Tau flat screen that i got for around $900 last year around the time of the superbowl. Its was a hot deal here.

Question though. This tv has 700 lines of resolution. What does that mean when compared to regular tv's and hdtv's?? I think my tv might have componant as well. Can anyone enlighten me on the capabilities of this thing?? I also use xbox and have a reciever and was was just wondering about 480p etc and video quality
Link to tv

Chad B

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,

From what I saw in it's technical description, it's a standard definition TV-- which means it will display all sources as 480i. It would only display HDTV if it were downconverted to standard def resolution. You should get the best image when you use the component input, and set whatever source you are feeding it to 480i. If you set your source to 480p you might not get a picture, or it might be a mess of jumbled, moving lines.
Resolution can be a very confusing topic to explain fully, but the 700 lines it's rated at probably won't mean much in the real world. But don't let this discourage you- I have a Panasonic SuperFlat TV, and it looks great! It's bright, crisp, and snappy, and it's older than yours.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The only drawback to this NTSC-only model that I know of (other than the inaccurate grayscale out of the box) is that it doesn't have a user menu-accessible 16:9 mode. And Chad is correct: HDTV is a non-issue. The set is NTSC only, meaning it displays only 480i.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks