Flat screen monitors

Discussion in 'Computers' started by DaveSarcevic, May 9, 2005.

1. DaveSarcevic

DaveSarcevic Agent

I want to buy a flat screen lcd monitor, I've seen some pretty decent prices on Ebay. I was wondering what I need to look for. Greatful for any advice.

Just realised that I posted this thread in the wrong section. Administrator please put where it needs to go. Hopefully not in the trash.

2. Jassen M. West

Jassen M. West Supporting Actor

If you're a gamer, look for a low ms, as in 8ms or 12ms. If you're not gaming 15 or even 25ms will do. Look for contrast ratio, gamer or not 600:1 is way better than 250:1. Also look to see if it has digital input as it will look better than the plain old analog.

3. Hank_P

Hank_P Second Unit

I second Jassen comments. If you are a "non" gamer... Something along the lines of 20-25ms refresh, and a min. contrast of 400:1 is good.

4. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Look at our Deals page for some 25% to 30% off with free shipping on their 19 to 20 inch monitors. They expire tomorrow morning.

Parker

5. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    are there any advantages to getting a flat screen with a wide aspect ratio if i wont be watching dvds on it? i love those dell monitors, and eventually i'll probably buy one, but wouldnt want to get a widescreen if the only reason is to watch dvds.

CJ

6. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

Note that the industry uses "flat screen" as a term to refer to conventional, bulky, picture-tube-based TVs and monitors. (The "flat screen" tube sets supposedly have a less distorted face.)

Vendors will probably refer to LCD monitors as "flat panel" monitors in ads.

7. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I just got a 19" NEC at work about a month ago, and it's great! Only a 15ms response and 400:1 contrast, but since I'm not playing games at work (often) it's not a big deal. Video is fine on it though.

As for the widescreen question, there's no particular "reason" to get one or not get one-it's all about preference. If you like looking at something with a wider field of vision, go for it. There's really not much of a difference besides the cosmetic with these.

8. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I've got a WS too. Just fantastic! I don't full screen things, and now I have a lot of left over space for other programs. Get a piece of paper about 4 - 5" wide and as long as your monitor is high and put it next to your monitor. Then think about it.

Glenn

9. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i have a 23" ws lcd (that pivots as well).

i love the dang thing. even though i rarely watch movies on it, i like having all that real estate ... especially if i have several programs open at once.

also, if i'm working on a long text document, it's nice to be able to pivot the display ... allowing me to read more of the document at one time.

10. DaveSarcevic

DaveSarcevic Agent

I went and bought an 19" LCD monitor at Walmart.http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3321518
    The specs on the box and on the web site said it a contrast ratio 500:1, but a notice was with the paperwork saying this model had a CR of 700:1, plus some other improvements. Im using the monitor now and I'm really impressed. It's also nice going from a 17" to a 19" monitor. I never heard of this company, I hope this thing doesnt turn out to be a piece of crap. I figured there are probably a handful of manufacturers, who license them out to companies who put their names on it.
    If any one has any helpful tweaks, I would be most appreciative.

11. Ryan Satriani

Anyone know a good website to set the screen settings for optimal picture on a PC? Kinda like the THX thing on the dvd's. I just got mine and it's kinda hard to read things sometimes. But yet again i'm using the analog setting.

12. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

ryan - try this out. i used it in the past...worked fine for what i was trying to do. dunno if it runs on xp or not though....

nokia test

13. Ryan Satriani

Cool thanks, I also found a website that had stuff to adjust your monitor too. Thanks guys.