Flat Screen for under $3000?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by _Jay_, Nov 29, 2004.

1. _Jay_

_Jay_ Agent

I'm shopping around for a half way decent flat screen tv for under $3000. I would like it to be at least 42" and have it do the HDTV thing and be able to hook my computer up to it.

My question is are there any TVs around that I can get for this price? I've been searching around a bit and I've only seen one at CC it was an LG.

Thanks.

2. John S

John S Producer

The Sony LCD RP's get my vote these days.

3. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Sharp Aquos LC-37HV4U can be found for just over $3,000. In stores it is closer to $4,000, but everyone knows that best buys are often found online, not in stores.

You might want to consider getting a projector instead. Half the cost, but capable of more than double the screen size. You'd want to find an LCD projector which has a native resolution which your computer's video card supports - there are a few which have 1024x768 native resolution, a couple which have the new 1280 x 720 native resolution, and lots and lots of old fashioned 800 x 600 which frankly I couldn't bear using for computer work.

4. _Jay_

_Jay_ Agent

Thanks for the help. I've been checking out the Sharp online today. I've found it for $3200 and I know I can find it less than that as I'm probably not going to make a purchase until after Christmas. Hopefully I can hit some sales [​IMG]

But My place is just too small for a projector. It would be nice but no room. I'm only about 8 feet from the viewing screen so I need to go look at the 37" before really making a decision. I did do a search for something larger and it seems they have a 45" out but it's $7000 is the lowest I've found it for so far. [​IMG]

5. Will_B

Will_B Producer

You'll LOVE the picture quality of the Sharp in person. They're considered the screen to beat. You can see it live in person at Best Buy. Be sure to visit the AVS forum if you have more technical questions:

www.avsforum.com