Flat Panel ?'s

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Steve_Corrick, Jun 21, 2003.

1. Steve_Corrick

Steve_Corrick Stunt Coordinator

I currently have a non-HD 20" SONY WEGA TV in use as a monitor using a AVerKey 300 Gold TV to Computer connection. It works but looks pretty bad as a daily use desktop monitor. I have a progressive scan capable DVD-SACD ( I'm using the component out but not the PS ) / 6.1 Surround system connected in the home office. I would like to attach a 18" - 19" FP to the computer and would like to be able to watch DVD's on the FP using my existing player rather than installing a DVD drive in the computer ( no AGP slot ) Any way to make a connection to take advantage of the progressive scan capability with a FP monitor ? Seems as if the only thing I can find that can serve as a computer monitor and HD ready TV are actual HD ready TV's, a 17" 16x9 runs around 1.4K and UP. That's just to expensive ! Marantz makes a 15" HD ready TV that can be found for 620.oo but I would like a larger display. Any one know of a video capture solution that might work. I might have to settle for non PS input, but thought I would post this here. Thanks !

2. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Check out the Sony SDM-V72W. 17.1" widescreen flat panel 1280x768 with VGA, DVI, and HD component inputs. It accepts HD component signals so I presume that is inclusive of progressive scan DVD 480p component signals.

It's $800 at Best Buy, and if you buy before June 30, there's a $200 mail-in rebate.

If I didn't already have a pair of 20.1" 1600x1200 flat panels, I'd be interested in it myself.