What's new

Flat Earth Society (1 Viewer)

Peter McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
LOL. They seem to be disputing gravity as well...

Once again, picture in your mind a round world. Now imagine that there are two people on this world, one at each pole. For the person at the top of the world, (the North Pole), gravity is pulling him down, towards the South Pole. But for the person at the South Pole, shouldn't gravity pull him down as well? What keeps our person at the South Pole from falling completely off the face of the "globe"?

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
WOW. when they challenge gravity, all i can think of is the upright citizens brigade. "where's your precious gravity NOW, professor??"

CJ

Zane Charron

Second Unit
Yeah, these guys are great. I think someone should buy them all a round-the-globe trip by ocean liner. :)

Leif Wall

Second Unit
Someone was telling me they were even saying how North Dakota didn't even exsist. Had proof and everything.

It's all pretty funny though.

John Watson

Screenwriter
They probably don't buy the moon-landing either.
Seriously, I think imaginary universe construction can be a valid scientific technique. I seem to recall reading about extensive theories of 2 dimensional reality before. These guys are probably hyper-intelligent, and having fun that not too many people can understand.
Bokonism may have a few useful insights too
I've put the site in my Faves!:)

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Leif,

Well since I've never been to North Dakota, to me it doesn't really exist. I'll just have to take your word for it.

Peter

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Gotta be a joke. Just read the small print at the bottom of the webpage, where it states:

"The Flat Earth Society is not in any way responsible for the failure of the French to repel the Germans at the Maginot Line during WWII. Nor is the Flat Earth Society responsible for the recent yeti sightings outside the Vatican, or for the unfortunate enslavement of the Nabisco Inc. factory employees by a rogue hamster insurrectionist group. Furthermore, we are not responsible for the loss of one or more of the following, which may possibly occur as the result of exposing one's self to the dogmatic and dangerously subversive statements made within: life, limb, vision, Francois Mitterand, hearing, taste, smell, touch, thumb, Aunt Mildred, citizenship, spleen, bedrock, cloves, I Love Lucy reruns, toaster, pine derby racer, toy duck, antelope, horseradish, prosthetic ankle, double-cheeseburger, tin foil, limestone, watermelon-scented air freshner, sanity, paprika, German to Pig Latin dictionary, dish towel, pet Chihuahua, pogo stick, Golf Digest subscription, floor tile, upper torso or halibut."

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
For the person at the top of the world, (the North Pole), gravity is pulling him down, towards the South Pole.
A premise that reeks of ignorance about gravity, of course. The "down" with respect to gravity is the center of of the earth, NOT "the South Pole".

Mark Fitzsimmons

Supporting Actor
Gravity is not a force that pushes you in a downward direction. It rather sucks you toward the center of the earth.

Using their logic, what would happen if someone were to stand at the equator? They would be clinging to the earth as if it were a wall.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The Flat Earth Society has been around for decades. When questioned about the uncomfortable reality of the Apollo lunar missions, spokespersons for the organization said at the time that the astronauts had been tricked by an elaborate optical illusion. Just how that illusion worked was never explained. The way I see it, if any of you should ever experience a bout of low self-esteem, just think about the fact that people actually belong to the Flat Earth Society. Your spirits should pick up in seconds.

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
Curious as to how they were going to explain our orbiting spacecraft, I clicked on:

"Fighting the "Evidence"
Dispelling common myths about "proof" regarding round earth theory"

The following page was displayed:

"This page is currently under construction. Please come back when we have our act together."

They're probably having fun dreaming up a "centrifugal ether" theory to explain orbiting spacecraft.

Jay Taylor

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The Flat Earth Society is (or was) quite real. A typically dotty, conspiracy-minded group organized around a bit of "secret knowledge" that the rest of the world disputes. The website has to be a gag. I seriously doubt most of the genuine members of the FES even have computers. :)
Regards,
Joe

Randall Dorr

Second Unit
The Flat Earth Society most definitely exists, but this website is a joke.

Under "What You Can Do"
To this end, the Flat Earth Society has reluctantly embraced technology as the means of getting our message out. Although more effective on a grass-roots level, our traditional means of pamphlet distribution, door-to-door support gathering, harassment and kidnapping of close relatives, threatening phone calls and abduction/brainwashing have been both slow to work and generally discouraged. So, despite four hundred-plus years of tradition, we have revised our philosophy, and have adopted a more insidious means of undoing Efimovich once and for all: subliminal messages.
Plus, if it were real, there'd likely be far more content.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks