Flat Earth Society

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Leif Wall, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Leif Wall

Leif Wall Second Unit

2. Peter McDonald

Peter McDonald Stunt Coordinator

LOL. They seem to be disputing gravity as well...

3. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    WOW. when they challenge gravity, all i can think of is the upright citizens brigade. "where's your precious gravity NOW, professor??"

CJ

4. Zane Charron

Zane Charron Second Unit

Yeah, these guys are great. I think someone should buy them all a round-the-globe trip by ocean liner. [​IMG]

5. Leif Wall

Leif Wall Second Unit

Someone was telling me they were even saying how North Dakota didn't even exsist. Had proof and everything.

It's all pretty funny though.

6. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

They probably don't buy the moon-landing either.
    Seriously, I think imaginary universe construction can be a valid scientific technique. I seem to recall reading about extensive theories of 2 dimensional reality before. These guys are probably hyper-intelligent, and having fun that not too many people can understand.
    Bokonism may have a few useful insights too
    I've put the site in my Faves![​IMG]

7. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Leif,

Well since I've never been to North Dakota, to me it doesn't really exist. I'll just have to take your word for it.

Peter

8. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    Gotta be a joke. Just read the small print at the bottom of the webpage, where it states:

"The Flat Earth Society is not in any way responsible for the failure of the French to repel the Germans at the Maginot Line during WWII. Nor is the Flat Earth Society responsible for the recent yeti sightings outside the Vatican, or for the unfortunate enslavement of the Nabisco Inc. factory employees by a rogue hamster insurrectionist group. Furthermore, we are not responsible for the loss of one or more of the following, which may possibly occur as the result of exposing one's self to the dogmatic and dangerously subversive statements made within: life, limb, vision, Francois Mitterand, hearing, taste, smell, touch, thumb, Aunt Mildred, citizenship, spleen, bedrock, cloves, I Love Lucy reruns, toaster, pine derby racer, toy duck, antelope, horseradish, prosthetic ankle, double-cheeseburger, tin foil, limestone, watermelon-scented air freshner, sanity, paprika, German to Pig Latin dictionary, dish towel, pet Chihuahua, pogo stick, Golf Digest subscription, floor tile, upper torso or halibut."

9. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

10. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

Gravity is not a force that pushes you in a downward direction. It rather sucks you toward the center of the earth.

Using their logic, what would happen if someone were to stand at the equator? They would be clinging to the earth as if it were a wall.

11. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

The Flat Earth Society has been around for decades. When questioned about the uncomfortable reality of the Apollo lunar missions, spokespersons for the organization said at the time that the astronauts had been tricked by an elaborate optical illusion. Just how that illusion worked was never explained. The way I see it, if any of you should ever experience a bout of low self-esteem, just think about the fact that people actually belong to the Flat Earth Society. Your spirits should pick up in seconds.

12. Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor Supporting Actor

Curious as to how they were going to explain our orbiting spacecraft, I clicked on:

"Fighting the "Evidence"
    Dispelling common myths about "proof" regarding round earth theory"

The following page was displayed:

"This page is currently under construction. Please come back when we have our act together."

They're probably having fun dreaming up a "centrifugal ether" theory to explain orbiting spacecraft.

Jay Taylor

13. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Second Unit

14. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    The Flat Earth Society is (or was) quite real. A typically dotty, conspiracy-minded group organized around a bit of "secret knowledge" that the rest of the world disputes. The website has to be a gag. I seriously doubt most of the genuine members of the FES even have computers. [​IMG]
    Regards,
    Joe

15. Randall Dorr

Randall Dorr Second Unit

The Flat Earth Society most definitely exists, but this website is a joke.

Under "What You Can Do"