Flashing "Peak" Light

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CaseyLS, Jan 28, 2003.

1. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

I was playing music through my computer to my Marantz 4200 and I noticed a flashing red light on my reciever. Right next to it, it says "Peak." Is this bad and if it is is there anything I can do

2. Armand G

Armand G Stunt Coordinator

This only happens with analog connections. In the digital domain the receiver arranges the input level automatically.

You should be careful that the peak indicator doesn't flashes all the time because some damage to the electronics can be the result.

Simply lower the input level on your receiver until the indicator doesn't lite up anymore.

3. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

So basically turn down the volume on my computer and raise it on my reciever?

4. Armand G

You can experiment on that. The most important thing is to try in keeping the output level on your computer as constant as possible. Otherwise you have to adapt this level or the input level on your receiver all the time.

There ought to be an inputlevel on your receiver which you can lower or raise. See your manual.

I presume you have analog connections from your computer to your receiver?

5. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

Yes it is analogue

6. Rob Bruce

Rob Bruce Agent

I noticed that to just today when I plugged my amp into my pc. I don't think that pc sound cards can generate a high enough level cleanly, and are peaking at high volumes.

7. Armand G

Good luck!:wink:

8. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

Check out your manual and look for the section that talks about an "ATT" or "A/D" button. I'm lazy and need to put my 2 year old to bed or I'd look for you. But I'm pretty sure it will automatically attenuate the signal when you are using an Analog source so as not do do any damage, but still allow you to use the Analog source. Something like that.

Good Luck,
    --Steve

9. ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon Second Unit

The ATT will attenuate the signal, but the sound quality suffers. Think about what is happening: you are sending an analog signal, which is being converted to digital, adding attenuation, then back to analog again to go out to your speakers. The much better way to go from an analog source is to put your receiver in Source Direct mode. This is a "pass-through" that avoids all that digital conversion. Not only do you completely eliminate the "peak" light, but you also get much better sound quality, since your receiver is effectivly acting as a pure amp with no degrading processing.

Chris

10. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

But I think when I go to source direct I lose my sub.

11. ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon Second Unit

It depends on how you hook up your sub. I had the same decision with my previous receiver (SR7000) and once I heard the performance using Source Direct, I couldn't turn back. I connected mine via left/right pre-outs and set the sub's cross-over to 50Hz to fill out the lower end that my mains couldn't reach. There are other ways too, which you can read about if you do a search on this forum.

Chris