Flashing BIOS

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
I have an ASUS K7V mobo and I'm preparing to install a new hard drive. I want to flash the BIOS before doing so (my current version is 1.03, the latest version avail. is 1.07) I have downloaded the appropriate file, so how do I "flash" it (no perverted answers please!)
Also, my computer uses the VIA4-in-1 system. What is it and do I have to update this as well? If so, which do I do first, the BIOS or the VIA???
Thanks!

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
ArthurL
  • create a boot disk
  • unzip the downloaded BIOS file on to the boot disk
  • download and unzip the Asus BIOS flashing program "AFlash" on to the boot disk
  • insert the boot disk and boot from it (into a pure DOS mode)
  • run "AFlash" from the boot disk
  • follow the prompts, first backing up the current BIOS on to the boot disk (just in case)
  • choose the "Update BIOS..." option, follow the prompts and enter the name of the new BIOS file on the boot disk
  • "re-flash" it just in case
  • follow the warning message (about entering Setup and loading the Setup Defaults)
The VIA 4-in-1 drivers are a bunch of drivers written by VIA specifically for their chipsets. The driver packs usually update the drivers controlling the AGP bus, the bus-mastering IDE controller and, if you board has them, the on-board audio and video chipsets. It doesn't matter which you upgrade first, the BIOS or the 4-in-1s.
------------------
My DVD Collection

AllenD

Second Unit
Reaction score
Question:If all is well, is it necessary to update BIOS? ASUS suggests not to change/update BIOS unless you're having boot problems.
------------------
Signature? I don't need no stinkin' signature.

Rob Gillespie

Producer
Reaction score
Agreed. Unless there is a specific issue you wish to resolve, leave the BIOS alone.
I upped the BIOS on my CUBX some time ago due to power management problems in Windows 2000. It worked a treat, but I had reinstall Windows to get the desired effect after flashing.

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Hmmm, since everything is working, I guess I'll leave everything as is. Thanks for all the help folks!

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magnificent9