What's new

Flash tutorial: Take 2 (Review time!) (1 Viewer)

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Sadly, I can say firsthand that would probably not happen at most theaters.
laugh.gif
...You're probably right.
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Nick Pudar

Agent
Ryan,
The new Pan & Scan text is perfect!!! I think you're really onto something with the "Theater experience in your home" angle. Well done!!!
Nick Pudar

Scott H

Supporting Actor
quote: And Super-35, another technique designed to avoid the horrific cropping associated with pan&scan.[/quote]
Super35 was not designed for any such thing. Not when Hitchcock was utilizing the method, nor now.
Ryan, if you get into Super35 we must review a lot information as it is very misunderstood. Personally, I see no place for it's inclusion in a cursory overview of aspect ratios. Nor do I see the need to mention anamorphic cinematography, etc. If complicated with filmmaking details the effort to make a simple explanation of letterboxing and aspect ratios to those ignorant of the fundamentals of presentation will likely confuse, if not overwhelm people. Many HT enthusiasts do not understand the application of the word 'anamorphic' as it applies to DVD authoring or to cinematography, so I wouldn't try to introduce such concepts to true newbies. 'Anamorphic' isn't indicative of any one aspect ratio anyway, so it's sort of moot here...
------------------
My DVD Library
Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.
[Edited last by Scott H on November 17, 2001 at 04:13 AM]

Richard_Huntington

Stunt Coordinator
I would do two tutorials: A beginners and an advanced, which could start after the beginners, that touches on topics like Super35, Open matted films, etc.
Otherwise Joe Sick pack will get confused and click off.
------------------
"My wife actually prefers widescreen"

Robert Dunnill

Second Unit
quote: Super35 was not designed for any such thing. Not when Hitchcock was utilizing the method, nor now.[/quote]I'll change my wording then, to "a method utilized to avoid the horrific cropping associated with pan&scan." The technique is a favorite of James Cameron's, and in fact he was quoted on The Digital Bits as recommending a 1.33:1 version of one of his films over the widescreen one (I think the comments concerned the laserdisc version of The Abyss).
Personally, I see no place for it's inclusion in a cursory overview of aspect ratios.
One of the main thrusts of this overview concerns the image loss in video presentations due to pan&scan cropping, and it's important to let viewers know that not every title formatted to fit 4:3 TV screens suffers in such a fashion. Leaving that out gives an uniniated viewer the notion that every 1.33:1 video title has lost 40% or so of its image, something that is plainly misleading.
RD
[Edited last by Robert Dunnill on November 17, 2001 at 12:56 PM]

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Let me stress once more that I think there is no need for you include such technical information in a demo that is designed for newbies. Information about anamorphic video, or the Super35 format should not be included for obvious reasons. Stick to pan & scan, letterbox, and open matte, for this demo, if you really want to keep their attention, and keep it as short as possible. I think you are doing a great job with it, but I think you are going a bit to far. If you must include such technical information, please do it in a seperate tutorial.
Thanks.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
If a projectionist continually placed cardboard on the left & right sides of the projector to make it fit the theater's screen rather than opening the curtains, he'd be fired.
Unfortunately, many theaters have this limitation, but not imposed by the projectionist. The screens are sometimes not wide enough (bounded by the walls!) to show scope movies.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I have e-mailed the owner of widescreen.org, mentioning that he might want to gleam some info from this thread, as well as include a Flash Demo on his site as well.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Ryan, how is the new version progressing? I am getting ready to open widescreen advocate, and I just wanted to know how close you are to finishing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks