What's new

Flash Gordon Season One Discussion (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I was trying to Tivo the 80s movie, and was surprised to see a 2007 date on many of the listings. Sounds like a good thing that I chose not to record it.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Sweet mother of god! I caught the first half hour or so while I was working out at the gym, and wow - what pain! Aside from the half an hour of commercials ever 15 minutes yet again reinforcing why I loath broadcast television, that was quite possibly the most painful thing I've seen in a long time. Ming's a sleezy lawer? Flash a boring stick of wood (even more so than he's suppose to be)? Dr Zarkof a nerd? No queen soundtrack?

My inner child was just molested.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
// The Sci-Fi Network is on CABLE TV, not Broadcast TV.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
(Their Programming isn't any Better!) :angry: I Stopped watching Cable TV in January, It's the Crap they show now (Such as this Program) along with the :thumbsdown: excessive number of Commercials:thumbsdown: that forced me to make my decision. From the sound of things I won't be wasting my Money on this Program when it comes out on DVD. I'll just keep watching my old Buster Crabbe Serials on DVD!:D

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
I pretty much enjoyed it. I like that it did something different with it, and that it toned down the camp factor a little bit (the old school stuff was a little waaaaay out there for me.) There was enough still to be fun (the girl missing the rift) but it was a better balance.

I felt like it did a good job setting up the characters and their relationships so I'm looking forward to seeing where they go from here. I also really quite enjoyed the actors playing Flash and Dale, they have a nice vibe together.

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
I'm kind of on the fence with this one and just not quite sure how I feel about it. Most likely I'll give it a chance to get its feet. Sometimes a new cast can take a while to get used to each other. Hopefully it won't take long.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
i felt this was just okay. it is not must see tv for me. the storyline was blah but the acting was passable yet humorous. i am open to reinterpretations and i will see where this goes.

but the special effects were downright piss poor. and that robot thing looked like something out of a b-budget 60's flick.

i will give it a short leash and hope it improves.

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
Who was the actor playing the big Beast Man (Tyrus??) last night? He looked familiar. I thought he kind of looked like the lead guy in "Grandma's Boy".

The second show was just kind of meh for me. Not bad but not really good.

RickGr

Second Unit
Just a tad bit better. They got a new actor for Ming.

Still has a long long way to go to get out of the suck arena.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

At least I managed to stay awake through the entire show this time. :)

Seriously, "Prime" was better than the pilot, but then it couldn't get any worse, could it? The most interesting part of the story was Ming and Aura on Mongo, not Flash and the stupid "bondmate" crap on Earth. Having the show set on both Earth and Mongo is a horrible mistake: there's no wonder to a girl in a tree in a park. Or any possibility anything worth seeing is going to happen. On Mongo, there are characters we barely know and who should be explored in depth.

I will say I enjoyed some of the smart ass humor-damned if I can remember it now. There were a few chuckles through the show. The whole thing is going in the right direction.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Did the ratings go down for the second episode? I can't imagine this being around long. It is horrible.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
At least the Pilot had a gum-chewing mutant. The best they could do in "Pride" was a bad-hair, mascara wearing, angry man with a whip? That was a setup for a Harrison Ford moment. Just shoot him! I didn't get any indication that he was shielded or impervious to weapons, impact, running over with car, etc. (our Park Police are armed)

Personally I hate shows where the aliens "look just like us" and shop at the local mini-mart. I'll take a rubber mask any day over funny clothes.

I hope they will complete the "setup" in 2 or 3 episodes and get on with it.

Ming's obvious goal is to steal water from Earth. If you want to see a Universe jumping, water theft, Sci-Fi show, then you need to catch "Charlie Jade".

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I wish there were more shows with aliens that look like us, for reasons I won't go into, but the shows need to be good. I was on the fence, but I ultimately didn't even watch the new episode. Sounds like I didn't miss much.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
I like that it's set on both Earth and Mongo, because I find the girl bounty hunter stuck on earth to be entertaining. I also think it helps keep in perspective that Flash is kind of an everyday, average guy, even if he does interact with aliens and save the world and stuff. Liked the Ming and Aura scenes. And I thought the humor was funny.

I think this is coming together, but it does take time to establish characters, etc.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

After being pretty gung-ho about the show, I dropped it after the first two episodes. "Prime" (#2) was better than the Pilot, but there wasn't enough of a bump in quality to justify spending an hour a week with it, especially with things like Damages and Mad Men sitting on the TiVO.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Anyone know what happened with this show? As best as I can tell, before last Friday, there were still 2 new episodes to be seen. But Sci-Fi just ran a really old one and that is all that is on their schedule for the next 2 Fridays as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks