What's new

Flash Gordon SE DVD- Any Chance We Get One?- (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Anchor Bay says they have a good working relationship with Universal.
I think if there was going to ever be truly nice SE for this movie, they would be the best ones to package it.

shame nobody asked about this title in the chat.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Just got the French FLASH! Looks pretty sweet. Too bad the french subs automatically pop up when U watch the english version. Other than that, it looked pretty good and the 5.1 trk. was decent. GREAT pkg. too, comes with a copy of the Queen sdtrk.

:) D

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I don't understand. It seems what holds a lot of studios back from doing SE's is the upfront costs. Well, if it is already done for a French release. Why not increase your rate of return and release the same thing in the US sans the French subtitles??? Unless, Universal is and just hasn't announced it.

Jimmy M

Second Unit
Can anyone post the info for where they got the French Version and how much it was? (and if one can read the order form in English?)

Thanks!

Jimmy!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
www.dvdzone2.com

English interface, easy to navigate.
cost is about $28-30 after conversion.

one note of warning about dvdzone2;
the flash disc was excellantly packaged, and arrived pristine, but the next disc i ordered came in a thin paper envelope with thin bubble wrap around it.
no cardboard whatsoever.
the disc was loose, the case cracked & damaged so that it won't snap shut.

very schizophrenic.
so proceed with caution.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey Y'all

Ordered it from Amazon.fr. I just used the amazon us site as a guide. It's 1/2 french, 1/2 english. Not hard to figure out. I don't think there's a commentary trk. however. There IS a 30 min. interview with Mike Hodges but it details his whole career. A brief 3-4 min. photo gallery set to music too with behind the scenes shots.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I hope Universal releases it soon....
And I hope Anchor Bay releases it soon! ;) :)

Preferably replacing the soundtrack CD (which most Flash/Queen fans will have anyway), with a second disc of quality extras (or rare tracks).

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Oh. My. GAWD!!!!!!!!!

Now that Popeye is on its way and I have Miller's Crossing nestled snugly on my DVD shelf, this title is #1 on my GIMME GIMME list.

The fact that the FRENCH get it before we do is just too horrifying to bear. (Ok, that was a joke. I like the French...'specally the women.) ;)

Hopefully the fact that this set is out in other regions is a harbinger of good R1 things to come. Universal's gotta know this is a well-admired little space flick. Anchor Bay would be great, Universal fine...just let me buy one already!

Bring me...the bore...worms...

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Jonathan, you are correct. Can't read french to save my life and the disc doesn't let you toggle through audio trks. while playing. And won't let you shut off the dang subs either! :angry:

I'm thinking of getting the r2 uk version to supplement. 2.0 audio :frowning: but at least no subs....

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
The French DVD is well worth importing. One thing that's interesting is that the commentary and interview were obviously both recorded specifically FOR the French disc -- Mike Hodges' commentary opens with him speaking the title in French (referencing the fact that this is a French DVD) and taking a lot of shots at President Bush and U.S. foreign policy in general, seemingly from the point of view of someone speaking directly TO a French or European audience. His interview is also very interesting, but was also produced specifically by the French Studio Canal team for the DVD.

It's all good stuff (whether you agree with his views or not), but I doubt they'd port all of this over to a U.S. release.

I ordered mine from Amazon FR and received it in good time. The 5.1 remix is great, as is the transfer (it's as good as the UK Momentum release, which otherwise lacks the 5.1). The subs can be physically "matted" out if you grab something to cover the lower part of your screen with...recommended for FLASH fans for sure!

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Thanx, John

I tried a couple of those suggetions... No dice. Anyone know a workaround for the JVC-600?

D

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
One thing that's interesting is that the commentary and interview were obviously both recorded specifically FOR the French disc -- Mike Hodges' commentary opens with him speaking the title in French (referencing the fact that this is a French DVD) and taking a lot of shots at President Bush and U.S. foreign policy in general, seemingly from the point of view of someone speaking directly TO a French or European audience.
Well the commentary certainly won't come out here in the states..at least not for four or five years.;)
I have no love for the current political climate in the states however I do hate it when the commentators date/mark the commentary in such a way, this is about the film not who you think might be listening or what is happening politically at the time...well...not with a film as relentlessly campy Flash Gordon at least. :)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
As soon as this hits R1, it's mine! Universal, what plaything can you offer me today? "Flash Gordon" SE DVD, that's what!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks