What's new

Flash Gordon re-release is coming..... (1 Viewer)

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Everytime this thread gets bumped, I almost trick myself into believing it's because an announcement has been made. *sigh*

I'm holding off for the 4-disc CE.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Do you take me for a fool? Do you think I don't know you've come here to steal the plans to my new interstellar hydro-combustion miracle-patented micro-teflon nuclear gamma strato rocketship-grade missile? Which was twenty years in the making? [Shows blue prints] And employs a new updraft design which lifts the ship on small spirals of synthetic strontium pellets? [puts blueprints back in jacket] Do you think I don't know that? Well, I've never even heard of it. So you're barking up the wrong tree!

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Alrighty then. Brian Blessed's commentary is a blast, he clearly loves the film, keeps going on about how 'pure' Sam Jones is, on how he gave the great Max Von Sydow lessons on acting with his hands, on how the ladies love Vultan's 'sexy' legs, he loves repeating his famous lines like "Gordon's alive?", he thinks everyone is terrific and that the film is a masterpiece, and pretty much laughs and giggles throughout the commentary.
God bless Brian Blessed.;)

Director Mike Hodges goes into a bit more detail and is not as jovial on his yak-track, going on about Sam Jones' Flash Gordon being "as dumb as American foreign policy."

Sadly there doesn't seem to be any behind the scenes video footage of the making of Flash Gordon, you can get footage of the making of The Wizard of Oz and Gone With the Wind but not it seems Flash Gordon, weird.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Since 90% or so of Sam J. Jones was dubbed, (horribly IMHO) wouldn't it be great to just, dub his part again with his OWN bloody voice?!?!? Nothing could be worse than whoever they got to do it the first time.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I caved in and bought the UK R2 SE. I'm still going to have to get the R1 version when (if) it appears because the speed-up bothers me, however the two commentaries (by Mike Hodges and Brian Blessed) are fantastic. Very welcome surprise indeed these days to find *one* good commentary track, let alone two in a row, and for the same movie! :)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

Really? You've probably watched Flash Gordon hundreds of times on British tv and video, you're too young to have seen it at the cinema and yet the speed-up bothers you. Oh dear what a terrible predicament, how dreadful, maybe you should give serious thought to moving to NTSCland. :)

I consider myself very lucky I can watch films from any region without worrying if it has 'speed-up'. :emoji_thumbsup:

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Steve,

I have a few PAL discs, and I've watched some where the 'speed-up' appears less noticeable than others, but I agree with Philip in this instance. The 25th Anniversary Edition is probably the best Flash Gordon DVD out there, but I was rather distracted at times by the 'speed-up'. Still, it is better than the old Image release I sold on Half, which paid for the UK R2 SE and the French Dune Ultimate Edition. :emoji_thumbsup: :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks