What's new

Flash Gordon re-release is coming..... (1 Viewer)

AnitaPeterson

Stunt Coordinator
All those who have the R2 version... if you want to get rid of the forced subtitles, you can run the DVD through DVD Shrink and eliminate the subtitles... not an elegant solution necessarily, but a very efficient one, at the price of a blank disc.

jeff strickler

Stunt Coordinator
Fantastic pic!

It's good to see Anderson embracing this film. I hope this DVD comes through like the fans deserve.

Thanks!

Ruslan

Stunt Coordinator
There was recently an excellent issue of UK's Hotdog film magazine which had an eight page Flash Gordon retrospective. Sam Jones was interviewed and alluded to walking off the movie before it finished filming, on advice from his agent, which he now regrets. Perhaps this was why they dubbed his voice?

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Yeah, I recall there being an article in Starlog back at the time of the films release discussing Sam Jones' legal battles with the producers of the film...I don't remember the exact details but I believe it was a rather heated lawsuit.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I've always had a soft spot in my heart for this film. I remember watching it as a kid and being mystified by Queen's theme song. Universal can't let this slip by without being an SE.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I have the HD broadcast on my DVR of this. Showtime HD has shown it a few times over the past month, and it is a surprisingly good looking master. If the DVD is this good, we are in for a treat. It was shown in full 2.35 widescreen with a pretty good 5.1 mix as well.

FLASH! AH AHHHHHH!!!!

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

That makes sense. Perhaps most of the dialogue in the movie had to be "looped" and Jones quit before the looping sessions began? That could explain why his "real" voice is heard occasionally: perhaps those scenes had clear-enough "live" audio that the dialogue didn't have to be re-recorded.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Very interesting. I never knew that Jones walked off the set early! (I wonder if that had any effect on his later movie offers...or lack thereof.)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

Places like Barnes and Noble, Borders or really big independent booksellers usually carry a good selection of UK pop culture mags. If it's not in the current issue, they usually have back issues available to order.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
I've never seen this movie and after seeing some footage on Vh1, I'm dying to have a crack at it. I seem to recall a notice fairly recently, maybe on DigitalBits, saying this was coming. Anyone heard anything new about a possible release?

Charles H

Screenwriter
Any word on the "status" of FLASH GORDON? With no forthcoming info on the title, the enthusiasm generated on this thread is depressing.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
I guess Universal are to busy rereleasing stuff that doesn't really need rereleasing (e.g. Carlito's Way).:angry:

Chris

Real Name
Anthony
FWIW, a UK R2 version has just been announced :

"A Silver Anniversary Edition of 1980 kitsch classic Flash Gordon will be released on October the 25th by Momentum Pictures.

The disc will be presented in limited edition "steelbook" packaging. The film will be offered with a choice of "new" Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS audio tracks. Bonus features include commentary tracks by director Mike Hodges and star Brian Blessed; an interview with Hodges; the original Queen theatrical trailer; a photo' slideshow; and Chapter 1 of the 1940 serial Flash Gordon Conquers The Universe, The Purple Death. RRP for the disc will be £19.99."

I know it's not Universal but it proves that a second commentary track has been recorded and a face-to-face with Hodges, too. It's unknown whether the Hodges commentary is the same as the one on the French R2. I doubt that commentary will appear (unedited, at least) on an R1, as it's pretty anti-Bush. If all goes as usual, you can expect a far better R1 edition not long after the UK R2.

For a look at the artwork, go to :

www.zetaminor.com/whatsnew.htm

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I would imagine any plans for a Region 1 release are on hold pending the possible new Stephen Sommers "Flash".

jeff strickler

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think so. This is the 25th anniversary for 1980 FLASH, and Sommers's FLASH isn't anywhere near close to production yet.

I expect it this winter.

Andre Bijelic

Stunt Coordinator
There's already an R1/R3 version available:

http://www.koreandvds.com/dvddetail.html?id=24381

It's 16:9 widescreen (2.35:1), 5.1, NTSC and appears to be a recent transfer - I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Universal used the same transfer for the upcoming SE.

The only downside is that the disc forces either Spanish or Korean subtitles on some players.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks