What's new

Flash Gordon - how long must we wait? (1 Viewer)

JayHM

Stunt Coordinator
Why won't Universal re-release this title? The original DVD is hard-to-find and goes for $40 and up on eBay, and it's not even anamorphic. In the meantime, Region 2 gets a 5.1 remastered anamorphic DVD with commentary and extras. Why are we being left out?

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Your preaching to the choir...

Any other studio besides Universal probably would've released this long ago. However, if they blow an opportunity to re-release this terrific movie when the Star Wars Trilogy is released on DVD, I will be truly amazed. *fingers crossed*

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i luckily have a copy of this.
i have the second release too.
the first one had some trouble with the sond that i cant remember what it it was.

i think the other region release is a good special edition with a director com and soundtrack cd.

a member over at dvdtalk said this...
"If only there were a deleted scene where Flash Gordon humped a pie we'd be up to our ears in special editions of the film."

http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....t=flash+gordon

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
I thought the real SE is only available in France ? also has forced French subtitles when watched in English.
Here in the UK we have an anamorphic release from Momentum but no special features, and if I remember correctly its only stereo and not 5.1. This is the same version as in Germany.

With regard to the commentary there may be issues with it, as when I read reviews of the French SE I'm sure it mentioned the director made a few anti American remarks in it !, so may need some editing before being released in the US.

I would love to hear / watch a 5.1 soundtrack version of this.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

I think it means essentially the same thing, just a different way of saying it I guess. After all, one would hope the choir is converted, eh? :D

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
It was a minor error. The 2.0 track was not flagged to activate Pro-Logic decoding.

I still have that first DVD and the widescreen LD signed by Sam J. Jones. A new 16x9 transfer of this would be a beautiful thing.

Neil

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
This is one of the few Image/Universal DVDs left in my library. They've been upgrading many of these titles with great new transfers and extras. Can't wait for Slaughterhouse Five.

The question is do you sell the crappy non-anamorphic version now and make a nice profit, or wait til a new version is announced? Same dilemma goes for MST3K: The Movie.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

I know I will keep mine until a new version is announced, and beyond that perhaps, as we all know just how quality assurance conscience Universal can be... :frowning:

Jonathan.e

Stunt Coordinator

Subs are easily removed with Toshiba players. There’s no way the disc would be released as is in the States with the commentary track intact.

Great movie.

Al Stuart

Stunt Coordinator

Hodges spends several minutes negatively comparing George W. Bush to Ming the Merciless. In the 35 minute interview with Hodges on the disc, he calls Bush a tyrant and a fascist quite a number of times.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Thanks, Al. Right, I better order that French version. I agree it'd be a miracle if that commentary track survives. :D

And I'm sure such extras wouldn't make it to a UK release either.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
"Congratulations. You've saved your earth. Have a nice day."

Saw the other day about the R2 release of this....someone need to b**chslap Universal and get them to release it over here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks