Flash Gordon - "he'll save everyone of us!"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen B, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Stephen B

Stephen B Stunt Coordinator

surly there is a demand for this CLASSIC movie, or am i the only fan. im sure none of the stars are doing much theres days. and surly there is someone out there with footage somewhere.

please.......

2. Scott Dill

Scott Dill Stunt Coordinator

The 1980 film is availible in an uremarkable, but watchable release, as are all 3 of the orginal serials. These serial releases are a real treasure.

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Get Image's "Flash Gordon: Space Soldiers"

There's no extras to speak of (It has some excellent liner notes, though.) but it does have great image and sound.

The entire serial is uncut and you get all 13 episodes on a dual-layered disc.

The video is a little scratchy, but the image has perfect contrast and detail. There's a little grain (typical of films of this period) and some of the re-inserted text captions are very worn. A few instances of warping can be found, but overall, it's another excellent video transfer.

A word of caution...the opening credits are very worn and it looks like the whole think will look bad...you see a very grainy, worn image and it suddenly jumps into a clear picture. Several scenes throughout are damaged, but this is mostly because a lot of the footage was excised to make the serial into a feature.

The audio is essentially perfect. The sound is flawless and only has some flaws due to primitive sound recording techniques. There's NO hiss, pops, crackles, distortion, or any other defects other than the normal recording flaws. It's probably better than it was in the theater!

I think the other serial DVD's are just as good (Space Soldiers is my favorite out of all of them...gotta love the despicible Ming!)

4. Zack Scott

Zack Scott Stunt Coordinator

You know I would buy Flash Gordon again if it would be a really cool Special Edition with DD5.1 sound and mabey the Queen Video. Love the film. I feel that it was the last of the Fun Science fiction Movies.

5. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

I would buy the 1980 FLASH GORDON again if it was re-released with a new anamorphic transfer and DD 5.1.

6. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Fully remixed and encoded with DTS 5.1 (24/96??) or DTS-ES Discrete 6.1. Now that would be excellent.

Dan