What's new

International Flash Gordon (1980) (4k UHD) 8/3/20 (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
OMG, Max von Sydow was in this? I guess he felt like slumming. The trailer makes it look like very campy fun. No one will ever call it’s color palette subtle. :)

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
More OMG: Topol, Brian Blessed, and Timothy Dalton are in this movie. I’ve going to have to consider this one, I just hope they don’t charge $39 for it. 4K or not, I need this to be at about $20.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
More OMG: Topol, Brian Blessed, and Timothy Dalton are in this movie. I’ve going to have to consider this one, I just hope they don’t charge $39 for it. 4K or not, I need this to be at about $20.

Johnny, you have never seen this film?

It's camp classic at its best. Even the movie TED worshipped this film.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Johnny, you have never seen this film?

It's camp classic at its best. Even the movie TED worshipped this film.
I’m not sure. I want to say I saw it when it was released, that would make it 40 years ago. I don’t think I would have appreciated it back then. My ability to enjoy camp has increased since then. And yeah, I can see Ted and whats-his-face enjoying this movie. ;)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
OMG, Max von Sydow was in this? I guess he felt like slumming. The trailer makes it look like very campy fun. No one will ever call it’s color palette subtle. :)
I've always just assumed that he thought "Alec Guinness must have thought that Star Wars was ridiculous and that was a big hit" and the paycheck was good so why not? Now it's one of Max Von Sydow's most famous roles.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I watched the trailer again and I thought, again, OMG, they could do a funny outtakes reel with this movie. Of course, it might have been difficult to tell what is an outtake and what belongs in the film. :lol:

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
I grew up watching a recorded-from-TV VHS version of this. It always used to scare me senseless, particularly the Dr. Zarkov 'brain drain' sequence. Absolutely terrifying!

I'll very much look forward to getting this on UHD - the colours should looks incredible with a decent HDR transfer. Bravo Studiocanal!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I grew up watching a recorded-from-TV VHS version of this. It always used to scare me senseless, particularly the Dr. Zarkov 'brain drain' sequence. Absolutely terrifying!

I'll very much look forward to getting this on UHD - the colours should looks incredible with a decent HDR transfer. Bravo Studiocanal!

If I remember correctly, the scariest sequence for me was Flash sticking his hand in the stump.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
This news has made my week. I loved this movie growing up because of the action. I love this movie as an adult because of how crazy bonkers it is. Fantastic soundtrack and super mega fun.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Wonder if the Blu-ray will look better than Universal's BD 1080P HD 2010 release?

One would have to assume it almost has to, don't we think? Only SLIGHTLY less egregious than the Studio Canal release, i'ts really not very good.

I'm willing to automatically give them the benefit of the doubt until I hear otherwise, lol.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You can pre-order it on Amazon UK but they won't ship to the USA??

They will not. They canceled my Star Wars: ROS 3D order.

However, let me add, I encourage everyone to try. You never know when those restrictions will be lifted. I would assume you will be told at checkout whether your order will ship or not.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I will put it on my wish list and maybe at a later date they can ship it to the US and at a lower sale price. Box set looks very nice and maybe The Shout Factory or Universal might release it too?

Denham

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
You can still see the garbage matte around the :13 mark of that trailer. That was the worst quality of the S-C releases of this film up till now- all those were visible compared to the darker Universal releases that did a better job of masking them.

Unfortunately the Universal Bd suffers from some DNR and EE. The EE is not as offensive as it was on standard def, but it's still detectable in some sequences. I'm not as butthurt by the DNR on it as most people, but I can see where it could be better. Hopefully those issues will be minimized when Universal releases it's own version later this year (some of the years slate, which included Jaws etc, was already leaked from a foreign retailer IIRC ).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks