What's new

Flash Drives (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Hello. I'm hoping that someone may know the answer to this.

I have a flash drive that has what my colleagues refer to as the 'silly virus.' When I plug it in and look at its properties under "My Computer," a folder icon appears rather than a hard drive icon. I was told to click on 'Explore,' and then to delete 'Autorun.inf' which I have done. But the folder still comes up when I plug it in for the next session. Nothing seems to be corrupted -- either text files or images. Do I need to dump/transfer the contents elsewhere and then reformat the drive? If so, what is a good way to do the transfer -- on to my hard drive, or somewhere else? Many thanks for anyone who might know what I need to do.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Addendum: I've scanned for viruses and have used Mallwarebytes Anti-Mallware. Each time I do this, it says there are no problems or infections / risks, etc.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Now this is a bit odd. It's similar to the problem I encountered with my 1 GB and 2 GB flash drives several months ago. In fact, that problem is what prompted me to purchase a 64 GB flash drive. I figured I'd have enough space for a lifetime.

I have a 64 GB flash drive that appears to be full. When I look at the properties, it says I have used 8.82 GB, and have 51.3 GB of free space left. However, I cannot save any more .jpgs. Very odd indeed. When I try, it says the attempt failed. I have tried this several times with the same result.

I did a Mallware clean-up, to see how many pics I have currently on the drive. It's around 25,000. Does this make sense to anyone -- that I would not be able to download any more pics? I can't figure it out.

Here is the message I received when I tried it again this morning:

E:Gamesters3104.jpg could not be saved, because a file already exists with the same name as the '_files' directory.

Try saving to a different location.

I know that there is no file with the same name, and that I have over 51 GB of free space left. Does anyone know what the problem could be? My guess is that I have reached the limit for pics that can be downloaded, although I have to ask why I still (seemingly) have all of this free space remaining.

Additional information: I have a capacity of 60.1 GB, and when I shorten the file name (e.g., to Game3104.jpg), I am able to download the picture.

Does anyone have any ideas why this might be occurring? Thanks for any help that may be provided. :)

Edited by Ockeghem - 7/15/2009 at 01:26 pm GMT
Edited by Ockeghem - 7/15/2009 at 01:36 pm GMT

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Christian Behrens
Actually, that makes a lot of sense. Since flash drives are usually formatted with FAT32, there is a hard limit of file entries for the root directory, something that is relatively easily reached by having long filenames.

FAT was never made to deal with more than 8.3 filenames, so the way they made long filenames possible is to use additional, invisible directory entries to store long filenames. However, once the limit of possible directory entries is reached, the device appears "full", since no more directory entries can be made.

Using only 8.3 filenames helps work around that problem, as does moving files into subdirectories, IIRC.

-Christian
Christian,

My flash drive is formatted with FAT32. From everything I have experienced with this (and previous) flash drives, what you have described above seems to be the problem. I do have some very long file names (some in excess of twenty-five characters, including the .jpg extension). I think you're on to something here.

"However, once the limit of possible directory entries is reached, the device appears "full", since no more directory entries can be made."

Yes, the evidence suggests that this is what is going on.

Question: What does '8.3 filenames' mean? Is this synonymous with 8 characters + 3-character extension?

Also, how do I create subdirectories on a flash drive?

Edited by Ockeghem - 7/15/2009 at 04:19 pm GMT

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
DaveF,

Do you happen to know how to create a subdirectory on a flash drive? It's probably very easy to do, but I've never tried it before.

I've been experimenting this morning with files. I've added about 100 pics to the flash, using much shorter file names. For example, instead of writing "GamestersofTriskelion2600.jpg," I have been using "Gamesters2600.jpg," and finally, "Gamester1.jpg." The shorter I make the file name, the more free space I apparently have to use. I am guessing that creating subdirectories will solve this problem, but I really don't know.

If nothing else, I now know approximately how many files I can have on a 64 GB drive without regard to conserving filename length.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I don't know anything about a filename length limit in FAT32, but I can tell you that there is an absolute limit on the number of named objects that can exist at the root of a drive. It is either 256 or 512 (working from memory here), so that could well be your problem. The simple solution in that case is to create a folder or two and put the pictures inside it.

And it isn't necessarily true that a flash drive with twice the capacity can hold twice the number of picture (or documents, or smiley faces.) Drive "A" may be able to store 250 1 MB photos, but drive "B" - with twice the capacity - will not be able to hold 500 photos if the new pictures have a file size of 2 MB. File size is what matters, not number of objects. All things being equal a 2GB drive should hold twice as much as a 1GB drive, but all things are rarely equal.

Regards,

Joe

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Joseph DeMartino

I don't know anything about a filename length limit in FAT32, but I can tell you that there is an absolute limit on the number of named objects that can exist at the root of a drive. It is either 256 or 512 (working from memory here), so that could well be your problem. The simple solution in that case is to create a folder or two and put the pictures inside it.

And it isn't necessarily true that a flash drive with twice the capacity can hold twice the number of picture (or documents, or smiley faces.) Drive "A" may be able to store 250 1 MB photos, but drive "B" - with twice the capacity - will not be able to hold 500 photos if the new pictures have a file size of 2 MB. File size is what matters, not number of objects. All things being equal a 2GB drive should hold twice as much as a 1GB drive, but all things are rarely equal.

Regards,

Joe
Joe,
Thanks. That makes sense.

Can you describe how to create a folder on a flash drive? And once I create the folder, do I need to change the length of filenames from what they were when they were part of the root directory to something shorter in the newly created folder?

{Some of you are probably thinking, this guy has seventeen advanced degrees in the arts and sciences, knows almost as much as Mike Frezon about baseball, and yet cannot create a folder? Sheesh. Where has he been all his life?}

Edited by Ockeghem - 7/15/2009 at 03:56 pm GMT
Edited by Ockeghem - 7/15/2009 at 04:14 pm GMT

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
Scott,

Creating a folder on a flash drive works the same as on any other drive. For Windows, right-click on the window that shows the contents of the drive and select "New -> Folder". Considering that you seem to have a lot of pictures on your drive, naming it "Pictures" and moving all your .jpgs into that folder would make sense.

And to answer your earlier question, yes, 8.3 filenames refers to the original limits of 8 characters for the actual name and 3 characters for the extension.

-Christian

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Christian Behrens

Scott,

Creating a folder on a flash drive works the same as on any other drive. For Windows, right-click on the window that shows the contents of the drive and select "New -> Folder". Considering that you seem to have a lot of pictures on your drive, naming it "Pictures" and moving all your .jpgs into that folder would make sense.

And to answer your earlier question, yes, 8.3 filenames refers to the original limits of 8 characters for the actual name and 3 characters for the extension.

-Christian
Christian,

Thank you. I will give that a try and see if I free up a ton of space.

If you happen to know the answer to my last line above (whether or not I need to change the length of filenames from what they were when they were part of the root directory to something shorter in the newly created folder), that would be greatly appreciated!

Okay, creating a folder or two was a snap, thanks to your instructions. Now I have to figure out how to move them into it -- dragging will be somewhat cumbersome, since the folders are moved back to the beginning of the contents, and the alphabetical arrangement I now have and the newly created folder are quite far from one another.

Okay, I think I figured it out. In IE, I just highlighted all of the pics, and then chose "Move to ...", and that seems to have worked fine. Now I hope that my space problem is solved. :)

Edited by Ockeghem - 7/15/2009 at 04:29 pm GMT

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Thank you to all who helped! The problem is solved. I can create file names as long as Prince Fielder's home runs without any problem.

Much appreciated, Joseph and Christian. :) :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ockeghem

Which is pretty funny...since I don't have a mac yet stumbled upon this thread and have now read it from top to bottom.

I'll tell you that I learned some stuff about flash drives that I never knew before.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

Which is pretty funny...since I don't have a mac yet stumbled upon this thread and have now read it from top to bottom.

I'll tell you that I learned some stuff about flash drives that I never knew before.
Mike,

Same here -- the HTF is notorious for educating people. ;)

I've been creating folders for the past hour, and now wonder why I had not considered doing so before today. Besides the space I am now able to use, the organizational benefits are excellent.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, since you are talking about organizing photos, I'll tell you that I did some research last year and found a free Photo Organizer software called FastStone Image Viewer.

I "gave" it to my wife for Christmas (with full disclosure that it was a free download) and she thought it was just about the best thing I had ever given her Very powerful (in the sense of being extremely useful) and yet VERY user-friendly (in the sense that she just sat down and figured it out on her own). She spent weeks organizing all our family photos and her work images and has kept it up ever since. She still raves about it.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

Well, since you are talking about organizing photos, I'll tell you that I did some research last year and found a free Photo Organizer software called FastStone Image Viewer.

I "gave" it to my wife for Christmas (with full disclosure that it was a free download) and she thought it was just about the best thing I had ever given her Very powerful (in the sense of being extremely useful) and yet VERY user-friendly (in the sense that she just sat down and figured it out on her own). She spent weeks organizing all our family photos and her work images and has kept it up ever since. She still raves about it.
Mike,

That's very interesting, and helpful. My wife loves scrapbooking and photography, and although she is very organized, she would probably like to use this photo organizer.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Does anyone know how to delete files from a flash drive when the message you receive when trying to do so reads "Access is denied"? I have even attempted to reformat the drive, with no luck. It tells me that FAT 32 is too large. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks. :)

Edit: I just called Kingston support, and they could not help me. Oh well. It's a good thing I have that Beatles set arriving soon. ;)

After a while of digging, I was able to get by these blocks. I ended up reformatting to NTFS (rather than FAT 32). I hope that's okay. I have reading a bit about the 'wear and tear' NTFS can cause on a flash drive. In any event, I did learn some interesting things today about flash drive management.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I thought that Mac's could read, but not write, NTFS. (at least without something like MacFuse) So, no, I wouldn't use an NTFS formatted drive with a Mac.

How big is the drive? FAT32 has a practical limitation of 32GB drives.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by DaveF

I thought that Mac's could read, but not write, NTFS. (at least without something like MacFuse) So, no, I wouldn't use an NTFS formatted drive with a Mac.

How big is the drive? FAT32 has a practical limitation of 32GB drives.
Dave,

For some reason (probably the thread that I'm in here), the impression has been given that I use a Mac. I don't. This has nothing to do with a Mac. When I wrote the first post here several months ago, I did mention that I wasn't sure where to post my initial thoughts, and chose this thread. If I'm not mistaken, a sub-thread was made shortly thereafter.

Anyway, I have a 64 GB flash. So far, so good. The NTFS file system seems to be working quite well. I've read more positive than negative regarding NTFS vs. FAT. We'll see how it goes long-term. The one concern I have is something I read about the wear-and-tear that NTFS can wreak on a flash. Have you heard or found this to be the case in your experience?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Well, yes, posting a question in the Mac forum does indicate you're a Mac user with a Mac question

So, yes, for Windows use, NTFS is the right choice. I don't know anything about wear and tear on a flash drive. They do have limited read/write cycles. But are you using this like a hard-drive, constantly reading and writing files all day long? If it's a transfer tool, to sneaker-net data from one machine to another now and again, I wouldn't think there would be any worry. And flash drives are so cheap that if it wears out, you can buy another one.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by DaveF

So, yes, for Windows use, NTFS is the right choice. I don't know anything about wear and tear on a flash drive. They do have limited read/write cycles. But are you using this like a hard-drive, constantly reading and writing files all day long? If it's a transfer tool, to sneaker-net data from one machine to another now and again, I wouldn't think there would be any worry. And flash drives are so cheap that if it wears out, you can buy another one.

Dave,

I suppose I'd laugh as well had I not written a disclaimer in the original post in this thread, and had not a subdivision of the thread been created after I had posted the original question. In other words, my original post was in a thread that did not carry this title. It was logical to continue posting here for the sake of continuity. :)

Yes, I transfer files from one computer to another on an almost daily basis. If nothing else, it does indicate to some extent how durable / non-durable some flash drives might be. May I send the bill to you if/when I purchase another one? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks