Flash Animation Software recommendations, please.

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Dave Poehlman, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I have been playing around with some flash animations and demoing different products. I just want to do some simple cartoons with sound. Most of the products I've tried are clunky and geared for making internet banners and advertizements so they have all of these unwanted text transitions built in.

Currently I am trialing 3D Flash Animator, and it seems to do everything I need so far, but I find its menu system mind boggling and too cumbersome.

Are there any Flash animators out there that have an easy to use interface and will allow me to import images and sync with sound? I just want to move a handful of sprites around the screen so, I really am looking for a simple program. Also, It needs to be able to export to a working SWF file.

Thanks in advance for any input!

2. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

I've been using Swish (www.swishzone.com). It's not as full-featured as the real Flash software, but it's pretty damned good. I haven't tried actually syncing audio, though.

Trying to give Joe Cartoon a competitor? [​IMG]

3. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Well, I finally put together a crude animation with Swish. Personally, I think the whole process of creating Flash animations is entirely too complicated.

Anyway.. I managed to get things to move around the way I wanted, and I even introduced sound and got things synced pretty well. That is, until I exported it all to .SWF... suddenly the sound is out of sync.. the animation runs a bit shorter than the sound in the final product when it seemed to run fine in Swish.

Anyone know the proper way to include sound with a flash? I don't see anywhere you can introduce sound as an "element". I just told Swish to play the sound when the file is opened. Is that the way it's supposed to go?

I'll try tinkering with it some more. I'm using an audio program called Audacity which, for freeware, is pretty awesome at editing sound. I highly recommend it. I'd share the final product with you all.. but I'm afraid its content isn't within the boundaries of this forum. :b

5. John_Berger

Keep in mind also that Swish isn't meant to be as powerful as other Flash products. It's meant to be a good alternative to Flash for general and web purposes, but I don't know that it's really suited up to the task of animation like what Joe Cartoon does.

6. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

7. John_Berger

8. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Ummm, have you guys ever heard of Flash? [​IMG]

It's what all of those cartoon sites (and pros) use.

9. John_Berger

Yeah, well, Flash is also $499.

10. MarkHastings

John, you said

11. John_Berger

Actually, I thought that there would be something meant specifially for animation outside of the Flash package itself.

12. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

13. MarkHastings

Dave, I didn't mean that comment to sound as demeaning as it did. I just assumed that Macromedia Flash was common knowledge. I can see how you can confuse it with JPEG's or GIF's that aren't created by a specific program.