flared or not flared ports?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn Solar, Oct 3, 2001.

1. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

Well I've started my sonosub project. but before I buy my ports I was wondering if I should buy flared ports instead. As it stands now I have two 4" ports, 30" long. its in a 5ft^3 enclosure with 100watts into each vc. If I were to get flared ends for the ports how much would I subtract from the length? Thanks for your help

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

If you use flared ports, you have to make sure you have enough surface area for 7" diameter ports for each flared port. Also, 30" long 4" wide ports might be too long (I try to stick to 5x-6x of the port width for a max port length).
    Flared ports usually come in a kit form, and you just have to make sure the overall length from end-to-end is 1" longer than the necessary length.
    ------------------
    PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; LDs

3. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

thanks, is there any way to calculate port length while using flares. I try to incude them in lspad from the adire website but it won't allow me. It says flare radius must be half port length. am I doing something wrong?

4. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

From what I understand leave the flare radius as "inf." (infinitesimal?) and just add 1" to the final port when you actually build it. So if LspCAD says to use a 30" port then the ports will be 31" after assembling the flares. So if the flares each add 3" to the vent length then the tube should be 5" shorter. (Tube=25", flare1=3", flare2=3", total length=31")
    ------------------
    Bill [​IMG]
    [​IMG]