Flagship Receivers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Howard_S, Nov 29, 2001.

1. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

I lot of people generally have trouble deciding between getting the flagship receiver and the model just below it. In the case of receivers such as the Denons (4802, 5800) and the Elites (49 &47tx), is it worth the extra money to get the flagship. The lower model obviously has most of the features of the flagship but are there any in the flagship that isn't all just in the stats? Or are the stats enough of a reason to buy them? I was just wondering cause there are people who wouldn't buy a receiver because it's not a flagship.

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Back in the day my first 5.1 receiver was an Onkyo TX-SV828THX that I got from One Call for a very good price refurbished. I replaced it about ayear later with a used TX-SV919THX used, same vintage (actually the 919 is an older piece). I have to say had I not gotten such a fantastic deal on the 919 I would not miss it at all. I do like the many many inputs on the 919 better than the more limited 828. That is the biggest feature that I love. The 919 looks nicer, sound better maybe (I never A/Bed them). The "second best" receivers are damn nice, but the flagships are definitely a step up.

My experiecne is very old though. That ancient relic 919 is still the heart of my home theater and will continue to be indefinitely. I wouldn't dream of replacing it, I couldn't afford it!

3. Howard_S

4. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Tough to say. I'm inclined to go with second best for big savings, myself.

This wasn't always the case, but lately, the price of flagship receivers has moved into good separates territory. Consider the 4802, vs. 5800. The flagship model Denons used to be in the $2500 range. What happened?

Besides, I'd take the DPLII with the 4802 over the 5800 anyways. Particularly when you can find the 4802 under $1800.

Todd

5. Howard_S

Yes in the current Denon situation the 4802 would be my way to go. But in the Elites situation it's a tougher call. And suppose that Denon comes out with a new flagship that has DPL2 then it would be a similarily tough choice.

I also like to buy things for value. But since I'm not someone that upgrades often, I'm seriously considering spending the extra money if it would bring more enjoyment to my movies and music.

6. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Howard, I was in a similar situation. I already made up my mind that I was going to buy the new Marantz SR-8200 for right around $1400. This is the step below the "Flagship" SR-9200. There are some differences I saw. Such as more power, THX Ultra instead of Select, more inputs. But to spend and extra $1200 for that? I was not going to do that, but then I got a call form my local shop and they made me a deal on the 9200 that I couldn't refuse. I ended up getting it for a mere $1800! Now I consider that a bargain for a flagship receiver.

7. Bruce Abar

Bruce Abar Stunt Coordinator

The Marantz 9200 maybe is the flagship for that series, but in Marzantz's reference line, the SR14ex is still the flagship for Marantz's a/v line. It is a little behind with the bells and whisles, but after using this a/v a couply of months, it kicks a lot of butt! As marantz says' it uses the highest grade parts to build this unit and it shows. After comparing it to the 4802 and owning the 4800 for year, the end result was the sr14ex is clearly worth the money. If prologic 2 is not worth to much to you, you may want to check around for a good deal the sr14ex, before it is replaced![​IMG]

8. Hubert

Hubert Second Unit

Well, in the case of B&K, they don't have but 2 models, and they don't differ that much in price and features.

9. Howard_S

I always hear the flagship using better components etc. But it's hard to say whether the "better" components actually translate into better sound quality. I'm mainly looking at the difference between Elite 47tx and 49tx now. Since I want to buy a receiver to keep for the next 4-5 years will buying the flagship serve me better?

10. Paul A. Robinso

You guys are missing a flagship receiver which should also be included here, the Onkyo TX-DS989, priced today(After a year on the market) at around $2300.00 (MSRP 3200.00).
    Several month ago I thought this flagship receiver was out of reach of my budget. I did my research and as of three weeks ago for 1250.00 (plus 100.00 for a 5-year warranty) I purchased the next best receiver the TX-DS898 and as for as what I'm missing as far as feature & sound quality, zero
    The sound(7-Channel x 110Watt) is warm and features are incredible for the price.
    What the TX-DS989 has the TX-DS898 do not.......
    1.Has the same type inputs/outputs but 9-more of them, a
    3rd-Component Input, a 2nd Tape-Loop/LFE-Preout etc:
    2.An AC-3 RF Coaxial Input(For diehard Laser Disc owners)
    3.It has Main-In(Front Left/Right/Center)Composite inputs.
    And finally it appears to me for around $1000.00 I only gave up two true feature difference, making it future ready and software-upgradable (the RS-232C & IEEE-1394 inputs).
    What the TX-DS898 has the TX-DS989 do not........
    1.It has a menu which allows you to preset a default
    listening-mode(Their 21) to the current input source
    signal which is playing(PCM/PCM-96kHz/Dolby-D/DTS/DVD-A
    Digital or Mono).
    2.Composite-video to S-video Auto-conversion.
    3.Non-preset, AM/FM tuning from the front panel.
    4.A front panel Audio/Video/S-Video input w/toslink-input.
    5.An assignable Zone-1 or Zone-2 12V-trigger.
    6.A Powered Zone-2 rear-panel Audio/Video composite outputs
    allow you to play Zone-2 2/Chl-stereo while enjoying
    5.1/Chl in Zone-1.(feature is also only on Denon-Rcvrs)
    7.It has all of the other Features and rear inputs/outputs
    the TX-DS989 has but simply not as many as the TX-DS989.
    I upgraded from a TX-DS676 and looked at the TX-DS797 which is missing 8-9 features the TX-DS898 has.
    As you can tell with a bit of research being second is fine
    with me(For 1250.00, I simply not RS-232C/upgradable....)
    [​IMG]

11. Howard_S

I generally consider the Integra 9.1 to be the flagship. Since most of us see Onkyo and Integras as basically one company even though Onkyo and Integras are essentially separate companies, the Integra 9.1 is the logical flagship. That thing is definately a beast.

12. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Howard,
    If you plan on keeping the receiver you buy for the next 4 to 5 years and you can afford it, i'd go with the flagship...no second guessing yourself.
    BTW, i'm going to buy the VSX-49TX. Trading my B&K 307. [​IMG]
    - Chip

13. Howard_S

I always here people saying "trading in". What exactly do you guys mean by trading in? Where does your old receiver go?

14. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

The store i bought the B&K from is willing to take it back even after owning it for 6 months mainly due to me getting a couple lemons. Actually it's my salesman, who's the assit. manager who's willing to do this for me. Not too shabby heh? [​IMG]
    - Chip

15. David Meek

David Meek Extra

Being a Yamaha RX-V1 owner, I can tell you that for the Yamahas it DOES make a substantial difference, not only in quality of the components used, but also in the sound. To me, it was well worth the extra cost to get the extra performance.

16. JaleelK

JaleelK Second Unit