What's new

Flagship receivers = Overpriced?? (1 Viewer)

MiltK

Stunt Coordinator
I can't believe this thread is still going....:D
Anyway, I'm glad the tone of this thread has mellowed out somewhat. The previous posts by Elbert and Dave M. were the kind of responses I originally intended to provoke as opposed to the knee-jerk reactions that came out earlier. It's very interesting that the majority of the flagship receiver owners here do in fact use external amps to improve their sound, which relates to the original idea of this thread - whether a mid-level receiver like the Sony DA5ES used as a pre/pro with external amplification was a better value than a flagship receiver used on it's own? I am not disagreeing that a flagship receiver + external amplification will be perceived as sounding better nor am I arguing that the added cost of such a combo is worth it to some people - but rather is the added cost of a standalone flagship worth it in most cases when cheaper and possibly better solutions (e.g., mid-level receiver + external amplification) are out there. My ears tell me that there is no noticeable sonic differences (especially on analog bypass mode) based on my limited experiences at home and in-store. If you disagree, that's cool.
Please note that I am not comparing street prices of anything now (for which I have had my hand slapped :frowning:) but take into consideration that quoting the street prices of "old" flagship receivers like the D-5800 or O-989 is not really fair given that they have drastically come down in price since they first arrived. A better comparison would be something like a D-5803 (just out) vs. a Sony DA5ES (6 months old) both of which have the newer enhancements like DPLII, DTS-ES, etc.
miltk

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Milt,

The onkyo 989 has the new surround formats that the sony has, and it still onkyo's current flagship model.....with no foreseable model replacement in the near future, especially with the THX2 upgrading coming. The 989 is ~ $2200 NIB (and I don't think the street price has dropped THAT much, maybe from ~ $2400 20 months ago?). I am not disagreeing with you that the Sony is an incredible value. But if someone buys the sony and needs to add a fully integratable ac3 demod ($200) and one amp channel ($300) to the Sony DA5ES, the sony's adjusted price moves up to $1250 (as a start). btw, is the DPL2 on the Sony adjustable?

MiltK

Stunt Coordinator
Ricky T:
Luckily I don't need AC3 demodulation and only have room for 5 speakers ;)
What will be the upgrade cost of THX2 certification for the O-989? I'm actually surprised the street price of the O hasn't gone down even more for a 20-month old box. To me, the $2200 NIB street price seems justified considering the inexpensive $50 software upgrades and assuming you don't add external amplification.
By the way, what's your setup like? I think you said you are using external amplification.
miltk

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Milt,

My speakers are NHT 3.3 mains, AC2 center, 1.5 sides, and superone rears, with two sw3p subs. I currently have a Lexicon MC1, but have had the following in the past 3 years: Onkyo 989, HK signature 2.0 prepro, Citation 5.0 and 7.0 prepros, sherwood 9080 prepro, Nakamichi AV10 receiver, Angstrom 200/205 prepro, HK AVR55 receiver, and a variety of decoders (sony, technics, denon). I have always used external amps for my front 3 speakers (86 dB sens, 6 ohms); right now I have a pair of citation 5.1 amps. However, I have no problem using a big receiver's amps for driving rear/side speakers. What people don't realize that a 100x7 receiver (like the 989 would be over 20-20k hz, and down to 4 ohms) is really a ~ 130x4 amp with 3 open channels. So when you don't use a few amp channels in a receiver, you are not really "wasting" them, you are merely making the other amp channels in use "bigger and more dynamic."

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
"...responses I originally intended to provoke as opposed to the knee-jerk reactions that came out earlier."
Wecome back Milt...
I believe that this thread started out comfortably enough. I suppose my debate with Aslam got us off track a bit, but by no means would I consider it a knee jerk reaction. Maybe you are referring to others. I am comfortable recommending receivers from any price range for any budget. There are some great choices on the market and available to fit within most everyone's budget. However, I hope you got the answers you were looking for. Originally, you were hard pressed to see (or hear) any differences between high end receivers and mid level/amp combinations. Have those of us with preferrances for the flagship models made our case? Do you see now why some would elect to go this route? I really do hope so. There are a billion choices on the market for HT...everything from the source, to the receiver/pre/amps, to the wires and the speakers. Everyone has their system and will probably defend it vehemently...because it sounds good or great to them:)
Jeremy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks