What's new

Flag etquette fact I learned today (1 Viewer)

Joey Skinner

Second Unit
If your flag is fixed to a staff and can't be raised and lowered, to indicate mourning tie a black ribbon the width of one stripe and length of the flag to the top of the pole below the finial. This is the kind of flag that most people have and since Flag Day and the Fourth of July will fall during the mourning period for President Reagan,I thought it would be a good idea to let people know the proper way to display their flag if they can't fly it at half mast. Also please replace tattered and worn flags.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

When replacing a worn or tattered flag, please burn the old one (seriously). It is improper etiquette to throw a flag in the trash, proper respect requires burning.

**** no political statement meant or implied, just giving recommended procedure ****

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think you can also give tired, worn flags to local veterans organizations (American Legion, VFW) and they will dispose of them properly.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Just remember that when you are burning the flag, be sure it is done in a respectful way, rather than just hanging it and letting it burn.

Joey, by saying the 'width of one stripe', I suppose you are referring to American Flags. Do you know what the proper rule would be for flags of other countries? Or would it jsut be the same?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i saw something on tv about the way you're supposed to raise and lower the flag as well.

i don't recall exactly, but something about you raise it quickly, but lower it slowly (in a solemn manner).

also, i can't stand the people who drive around in cars with tattered flags. i appreciate the sentiment but c'mon ... if you're gonna display the flag, keep it neat.

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
also when flying at half staff, you raise the flag all the way to the top then lower back down to halfway. when striking colors you raise the flag to the top and then bring it down.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric

Actually, you should cut it into small pices first, then incinerate it.

Seth--L

Screenwriter
Isn't it also considered proper etiquette not to fly a flag at night unless there is light shinning on it throughout the night?

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
It would appear most rules regarding flying of flags are universal (at least based on what I learned in handling the Singapore flag back in school), e.g. up at sunrise, down at sunset, a national flag goes up first and comes down last etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks