What's new

Flac Files - Compressed vs Uncompressed (1 Viewer)

stringbean

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Snorbitz
When using my CD ripping software, there is an option to Rip from a CD in FLAC. However, I noticed that the FLAC gets compressed to approx 69% on each of the music tracks which gives about 441 Kbps.

However, when ripping from a different software, I can Rip to FLAC uncompressed giving me a 0% compression file with something like 940Kbps. Nearly double what the former gives.

Does the smaller compressed file mean a degradation of the music file? Compressed is still lossless right? Does the software Rip compressed but uncompresses during playback?

Thanks.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Need more details.

Which ripping software programs are you using?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
When using my CD ripping software, there is an option to Rip from a CD in FLAC. However, I noticed that the FLAC gets compressed to approx 69% on each of the music tracks which gives about 441 Kbps.

However, when ripping from a different software, I can Rip to FLAC uncompressed giving me a 0% compression file with something like 940Kbps. Nearly double what the former gives.

Does the smaller compressed file mean a degradation of the music file? Compressed is still lossless right? Does the software Rip compressed but uncompresses during playback?

Thanks.
The "L" in FLAC stands for "lossless", so yes, it is lossless. Meaning that the uncompressed music is bit identical to the original. I've never heard of uncompressed FLAC, since it would completely defeat the idea of FLAC.

Incidentally, the amount of compression can vary significantly depending on the music itself.

stringbean

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Snorbitz
Thanks for your replies guys but I've found my answer on the software forums. Basically, a FLAC file whilst being lossless, can be compressed to save space which is then un-compressed during playback so there is no actual loss of quality when ripping.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks