Fixing shower faucets

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jay H, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I have a shower/bathtub in my house with the two separate Hot/Cold faucet handles (lever type). Well the Hot faucet handle is somewhat loose, in that somehow the stop has rotated such that the handle closes now in a fashion that isn't the design.

Supposedly the handles should be :

HOT COLD

----+ +----

Turning the Hot handle counterclockwise turns the Hot water on and the COld handle clockwise turns the Cold water on.

However, somehow something inside the Hot handle innerds is lose and that for me to turn off the Hot water and cold, the faucet now looks like:

HOT COLD

+----- +------

Water still shuts off fine, but now the handles are out of position.

I have an access panel behind the shower that I think I can pull out and get to the innerds, but what should I look for in order to fix this? I think the brand is Moen but not exactly sure. (I haven't taken the panel off which hides the innerds)

Jay

2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Is the handle loose? Some have a geared connection to the shaft (where your + is) which can sometimes disengage if it becomes loose. There should be a removeable cover at the end of the shaft with a screw that holds the handle on under it. Repositition the handle and tighten the screw.

If not, there may be a set screw in the side which needs tightening after the handle is back in its proper place. You shouldn't need to remove the panel unless the actual valve has come loose.

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    It sounds like there is some kind of stopper nut that the handle is going over. When it slips (in other words, when it fails to close in the proper position, I can hear it hit something and go over it.

I'll see if I can get the handle off somehow from the front. It isn't obvious how to remove the handle so I can see what's behind it....

Jay

4. DougR

DougR Second Unit

That's what it sounds like happened !!

5. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

As I mentioned, if there isn't a set screw in the side (which will require a hex key), then the front of the handle shaft pops off and there's a screw behind it. You can usually get at this with either fingernails or a small flat screwdriver.

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    OK, took off the faucet handle without flooding my bathroom (yay!)... Behind the handle is a splined plastic cyclinder and inside this cylinder is a philips head screw. The lever in the handle simply spins around freely in the handle so obviously the stopper device is inside the faucet itself.

I'm thinking perhaps the spline is slipping? I have to see if I simply replace the handle but now in the proper position, then screw on the handle back to the wall, that it will be fixed.

There is a chance that if the handle isn't screwed on all the way (which keeps the splines together), the handle could theoreticall slip on the splines and then you will have a misaligned handle. I'll try that first before playing with that philips head screw there...

Jay

7. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

Unscrew the phillips screw, take the handle off the stem, look and see if the splines on the handle are intact, if they are, put the handle back on the stem in the right position and screw the philips screw down tight, it should now stay in place, there is no internal "stop" , the only stop is when the washer seats against the valve seat, if the stem was backing out, which could cause this problem, it would leak water around the handle everytime you turned it on

8. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay

Spot on! It was... I guess the "Stem" was loose and when a friend of mine was taking a shower, closed the lever too hard and the spline slipped. I removed the handle (unscrew the stem) and then made sure the valve was closed, put the handle back on in it's "proper" position and rescrewed the stem on tight.

(did the same with the cold water lever)

Now it's a bit tough to turn the water on, but I guess I just need to clean the bushings and perhaps lube it a bit. I think the seller left the stems on a little loose because it does make turning the water on/off a lot easier.

Jay

9. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Well there you go, you are now a handyman, 'cause you're so handy, man. [​IMG]