What's new

Fixing scratches in an LCD.. is it possible? (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
While the idea of LCD has always been attractive, I had avoided it for as long as I could in our house. The reason is one really out of care & concern, but I couldn't avoid it, and now it's become the most continuous cost in my home theater.

Today I come home from work, and again, I'm faced with the same problem, just a new set. Our autistic son, when infuriated, finds LCD screens very easy to "scratch up", I end up with large scratches that go about 7 inches to 10 inches, and if you're close enough look god awful and at a distance cause those areas - especially if white - to appear rainbow color.

I've replaced two sets, this would be the third, and it's less then two years. It's too expensive to keep doing it, but there aren't any tube or glass type screens on the market anymore almost anywhere that are worth anything. The older shields on our RPTVs largely prevented this when we had DLP screen, but I can't even find people who carry them at the moment, and the ones that do - the Mitsubishi - don't have the removable screen front.

I'm open to absolutely any suggestion. I guess this weekend I'm probably replacing another 47" LCD, but damn, I've got to figure out how to make the pain stop. You'd think there would be something to help ease the scratches..

richiewrt

Auditioning
Real Name
Richie
Not sure how old / tall your son is, but would it be possible to wall mount the tv out of reach?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks