Fixing image noise on TV Output

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jean-Francois Masse, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Jean-Francois Masse

Today I decided to connect my computer to my receiver because I wanted to watch divx files on my 32" TV. I've tried two days ago to hook up my s-video out from my ATI Radeon VE to my Sony Mini DV with a 3 feets long cable to test the quality. I recorded different files and disconnected the cam. I went in the next room and connected my cam to my receiver and watched those images. It was truly better that I was expecting so I decided to buy a 15 feet cable to be able to connect directly the two components. Sadly the quality is not the same. there is some noise (2 wavy lines running across the screen vertically. One is lighting the picture and the other is darckening. My s-video cable is far from a Monster Cable and the 15 feets are maybe too long or is it someting else?

I'm ready to buy a better cable but only if my chances are good.

Any tips?

Thanks

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I would say you are picking up some interferrence someplace. If you have the cable running along the wall, there's probably some electrical wiring in the walls causing the problem. I would say, try putting the cable someplace else, or, try some RF chokes (little cylindrical magnets around the line.. although, I've had little success with these) or invest in a shielded line.

3. Jean-Francois Masse

thanks for the answer. I solved the problem by using a cheater plug on the computer power cable that cut the ground. It's maybe not the safest way to fix it but that does not cost a lot...

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Moving this to Tweaking, Connections, since it appears to concern a cable issue.
    M.