Fixing a Sony reciever

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron_Morris, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Aaron_Morris

Aaron_Morris Stunt Coordinator

Dunno if this is exactly the right place to post this, but if not I appologize, and please move it to where it belongs... Now, I have a Sony stereo reciever sitting here that I got from a guy inlue of cash. Now it seems like a decent little thing, maybe good for running in a bedroom or for a sub or something... Anyway, it has a problem (or maybe a collection of them). It has a bad distortion sound that comes up more often than not, and can be alliveated by fiddling with the RCAs on the back, or afirm thumping. Does anyone here tinker with this stuff? What might I look at doing to it? Does anyone fix stuff with any regularity that might want to take a shot at it for fairly cheap? If anyone is interested I can give more details as to what it does.
    Thanks in advance

2. Jeff Rosz

Jeff Rosz Second Unit

hiya,
    from what you describe, it sounds like the simplest problem it could be is an oxidation build-up inside the rca connectors. for starters you could try an oxidation removal spray applied to a pipe cleaner. if that doesnt work, you could check the solder connections inside. all it might take is just re-melting the solder on the connectors.

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

that sounds like a pretty reasonable suggestion Jeff. If the RCA's look like they're beyond hope, they could also easily be replaced by an individual. taking it to the shop is probably not going to be very cost effective for you.

4. Aaron_Morris

Aaron_Morris Stunt Coordinator

To try and clean them, what would I use, somthing like this: ?PE cleaner

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

That would be good to have on hand in any event. Also consider this little offer at Caig's site. It's a little assortment of their products in small tubes. When getting into tight spaces, pipe cleaners, or those foam swabs that you can get from the Shack are pretty good. If you open the unit don't have it powered and make sure its been powered off for some time before you start touching thing. Good luck.

6. Lee Conner

Lee Conner Auditioning

Aaron -
    Parts express just became my new favorite place to shop! Thanks for the heads up.[​IMG]