Fixing a JBL PB12

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by IrwynW, Dec 16, 2004.

1. IrwynW

IrwynW Auditioning

Hi all, I've heard about the amp problems with the PB12 subs. Almost everyone states that the problem has to do with the two small capcitors that tend to blow. Anyway, I was wondering how hard/easy is it to fix this if I can just buy the parts at rat shack?

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    How easy or hard it is depends on whether or not you can solder.

I’m not the most knowledgeable around here about board-level electronics, but as far as I know most capacitors are pretty generic. Generally all you need is to find an identical one of the same value, but in this case I expect you want to upgrade to one that won’t blow out quite so easily. Hopefully someone else can point you in the right direction on that. If Radio Shack doesn’t have the one you need, you’ll find it for sure at a local shop that caters to electronics hobbyists.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. IrwynW

IrwynW Auditioning

Well, I guess then it will be hard in my case since I've never soldered anything. But I figure that if the amp section is shot anyway, then this would be as good a time as any to try my hand at soldering. Thanks Wayne

4. Bill Mullin

Bill Mullin Stunt Coordinator

Replace it with the same value but at a higher voltage. For instance, if you have a .01 uf @ 50V that has become defective, replace it with a .01 uf @ 500V or a .01 uf @ 1KV. The new cap will operate just like the old, but be much less likely to overheat.

Good luck,
    Bill