Fixed receiver shutting down, might be useful to someone

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Law, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Law

Law Agent

Two days ago my Pioneer Elite VSX-37TX started acting funny. Not funny 'ha-ha', but funny in a PT Anderson sort of way. Just watching TV, the receiver started shutting down if the volume was increased over
    -25dB. My first thought was, "What's that smell?" but right after that was, "What's wrong with my receiver?"

I checked the speaker connections to make sure there were no stray wires getting cozy with each other or snuggling up to the chassis and they were all okay. I tried switching to stereo mode to determine which speaker is humping the bunk and discovered stereo worked fine. Even if I turned it all the way up to +12.

After I regained consciousness I thought, "What's that smell?" then, "It must be the center or rears." I got into the speaker setup and turned the center speaker off and retried and everything worked with no problem, even if I turned it up to +12.

When I awoke I turned the center back on just to be thorough and, "What the.....it works!"

So I made some popcorn, grabbed a bear and watched American Idol. What the problem was I don't know.

Oh, and the smell turned out to be a piece of pepperoni that had fallen under the coffee table.

2. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

Can I have some of whatever you're on!

[​IMG]

N

3. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

Do you have any pepperoni left?

4. John S

John S Producer

Mmmmm Pizzza.... lol