1. I was waiting for my ATI 8500 Pro to be delivered and decided to dl the drivers.

Noticed that Win2k drivers required SP4, so I loaded that along with all the pre-SP5 hotfixes.

Everything seemed OK for a few boots, then I got a Blue Screen.

Didn't really read it and just reboot, then Scandisk found errors and fixed them.

Everything seemed OK for a few more boots, then Blue Screens everytime.

Stop Error c0000218 {Registry File Error} systemrootsystem32configdefault missing or corrupt

I hadn't run an ERD for 6 months so my Repair directory was out of date.

Didn't really want to do a full Registry restore from ERD because it would have rolled the system back to last ERD.

Did a few web searches from my Win98 install and found that most Reg hives have their own files under the WINNT directory.

For some reason, I always thought the Reg was composed of User.dat and System.dat files only.

So...I backed-up the corrupted 'default' file from under WINNT...config and copied the 6 month old 'default' file from the Repair directory.

Rebooted and everything is fine now (then ran ERD to update my Repair directory with newest Registry files).

So what the heck is contained in the Default reg hive?

By using a 6 month-old version, I must missing something now, but what?

All programs and configurations seem to be current and system still shows SP4 and all the hotfixes.
  2. Scott Barnhart

Scott Barnhart Stunt Coordinator

Jan 3, 2001
    I'm pretty sure that hive is the HKEY_USERS.DEFAULT hive. It contains the settings for the default user, so when you create any new users, all the settings in .DEFAULT are copied into the new user's HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive.