Fixed a problem I didn't know I had

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Randy Tennison, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    For a long time (several years), I wasn't happy with the sound from my system. I thought my Energy Take 5's, along with my Yamaha 995 should have sounded a lot better than they did.

Then, I discover something about my Toshiba DVD player. I was bored, waiting for my wife to come back from a potty break while watching a movie, and started flipping through the DVD player menu. I discovered that it had a feature called "Dynamic Range Control", and it was defaulted on. I turned it off, and WOW, what a difference.

That's what my system was supposed to sound like. Now, I need to re-calibrate my speakers, because the sound is out of balance. But man, it sounds much better.

Only took me a couple years to discover it!

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Usually DRC on the player only affects the analog outputs- not the digital ones. Also, DRC USUALLY only works on DD sources, and even then it only applies on titles that have DRC flagging. Interesting.

-V

3. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

I always make a habit of checking the munu's on everything to make sure they are set to my liking.

The Pioneer receiver we have was defaulted to a 'mild' compression. It makes a huge difference turning it off, as the speakers (JBL HLS series) are more than willing to take some thrashing (well, dynamic peaks with ease)