What's new

Fixed a problem I didn't know I had (1 Viewer)

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
For a long time (several years), I wasn't happy with the sound from my system. I thought my Energy Take 5's, along with my Yamaha 995 should have sounded a lot better than they did.

Then, I discover something about my Toshiba DVD player. I was bored, waiting for my wife to come back from a potty break while watching a movie, and started flipping through the DVD player menu. I discovered that it had a feature called "Dynamic Range Control", and it was defaulted on. I turned it off, and WOW, what a difference.

That's what my system was supposed to sound like. Now, I need to re-calibrate my speakers, because the sound is out of balance. But man, it sounds much better.

Only took me a couple years to discover it!

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Usually DRC on the player only affects the analog outputs- not the digital ones. Also, DRC USUALLY only works on DD sources, and even then it only applies on titles that have DRC flagging. Interesting.

-V

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
I always make a habit of checking the munu's on everything to make sure they are set to my liking.

The Pioneer receiver we have was defaulted to a 'mild' compression. It makes a huge difference turning it off, as the speakers (JBL HLS series) are more than willing to take some thrashing (well, dynamic peaks with ease)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maltby
Recent bookmarks