Fixed 80Hz crossover frequency...Problem??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wolfgang.K, Dec 1, 2002.

1. Wolfgang.K

Wolfgang.K Agent

I narrowed my HT receiver choice to a Integra DTR-7.3 but found out that it has a fixed cross over frequency of 80Hz. Most people seem to want at least a few choices in that area.
    My question is why?

I would figure that the sub might handle below 80Hz better than my mains. Please clarify.

Thanks

2. Jo_M

Jo_M Stunt Coordinator

If you have a system with Towers that go down to 40Hz (and do it well) why send that info to the sub? The H/K has a 60Hz crossover and I think that's perfect for my towers which have no problem going down to 60hz.

3. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Wolfgang - I'm not an expert on this, but I THINK that it might have a fixed crossover frequency with DD or DTS 5.1 (or higher) sources. You MAY be able to adjust the crossover with stereo sources.

4. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

Even if all your speakers were ffull range, andd capable of 20-20K response you would still benifit from ussing a subwoofer and crrossover to take the low bass off your speakers reducing the powwer requirements.
    Over about 100hz you can start locating thee sub. 80hz is a good point to crossover as most speakers ( small sattelites) start rolling off just under that point.
    Somecombinations ddo better at 40 or 60 or 120, I would pick 80 if I could only pick one.
    I do think full range or any speaker sounds cleaner when not called upon to deliver material under 80hz,IMO