Fix My dvd player or buy a new one?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by JoeHard, Mar 22, 2005.

1. JoeHard

JoeHard Stunt Coordinator

My 2 year old Yamaha DVD C-920 took a crap. It will cost $100 to fix it. I have seen a Toshiba SD5915 for $100. Is anyone familiar with this player? Should I fix the Yamaha,it has Burr-Brown dacs and the Faroudja v-chip, or look for something else? I will use this player for cd's and dvd-audio. Thanks

2. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I think you should get a new one. I don't know how much you paid for it two years ago, but 100.00 to fix it seems a bit much to invest in a 2 year old player. Splurge and add some more money and get an upscaling player or one of the better model players. I heard Denon has some good mid to high end players. I have the Zenith DVB 318 which upscales via component and love it.

Also depending on your display if you have DVI or HDMI this can be a perfect time to upgrade.

3. Phil_L

Phil_L Second Unit

Having a problem with my DVD player too. Where can I take it to get an estimate on repairs? I live near a Circuit City, Best Buy, & CompUsa.

4. JoeHard

I'm leaning towards getting it fixed, just because I paid $400 new. The thought of spending another $400 or $500 adds up to alot of money, and my other gear isn't compatible with DVI or HDMI. If someone has a player in mind in the $200 range that would be different. Phil, I took my player back to the A/V store where I bought it.

5. JoeHard

I took Jerome's advice and bought a new Denon changer model DVM 715. If anyone has an opinion or experience with this machine I would like to hear it. Thanks

6. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Enjoy dude[​IMG]