What's new

Fix My dvd player or buy a new one? (1 Viewer)

JoeHard

Stunt Coordinator
My 2 year old Yamaha DVD C-920 took a crap. It will cost $100 to fix it. I have seen a Toshiba SD5915 for $100. Is anyone familiar with this player? Should I fix the Yamaha,it has Burr-Brown dacs and the Faroudja v-chip, or look for something else? I will use this player for cd's and dvd-audio. Thanks

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I think you should get a new one. I don't know how much you paid for it two years ago, but 100.00 to fix it seems a bit much to invest in a 2 year old player. Splurge and add some more money and get an upscaling player or one of the better model players. I heard Denon has some good mid to high end players. I have the Zenith DVB 318 which upscales via component and love it.

Also depending on your display if you have DVI or HDMI this can be a perfect time to upgrade.

Phil_L

Second Unit
Having a problem with my DVD player too. Where can I take it to get an estimate on repairs? I live near a Circuit City, Best Buy, & CompUsa.

JoeHard

Stunt Coordinator
I'm leaning towards getting it fixed, just because I paid $400 new. The thought of spending another $400 or $500 adds up to alot of money, and my other gear isn't compatible with DVI or HDMI. If someone has a player in mind in the $200 range that would be different. Phil, I took my player back to the A/V store where I bought it.

JoeHard

Stunt Coordinator
I took Jerome's advice and bought a new Denon changer model DVM 715. If anyone has an opinion or experience with this machine I would like to hear it. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks