Fitted/Tapered dress shirts

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack Gilvey, Oct 19, 2002.

1. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

2. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

Land's End has a trim fit size on many of their men's shirts.

3. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

I second www.landsend.com
    The selection is very good. The classics are always available and they always seem to have some new and interesting (but conservative) patterns.

4. Mike Main

Mike Main Stunt Coordinator

Yeah Landsend shirts tsand up pretty well. Also if u dont like what u order just return it. They make no fuss on returns at all.

Mike

5. Mark R O

Mark R O Stunt Coordinator

Perry Ellis dress shirts are outstanding in fit and comfort.
    Look at the outlet malls for a factory store.

6. Jonas Pearson

Jonas Pearson Stunt Coordinator

I have a 10" drop: 42" chest 32" waist. Based on the grain sack fit of most shirts in the waist these days, these measurements aren't the norm. For me, to avoid looking like I'm wearing maternity clothing, fitted shirts are a must. John Henry makes a nice athletic cut shirt. I think that Van Heusen (sp.?) has them as well. This weekend I picked up some nice fitted dressy shirts on sale at Express Fr Men (formerly Structure). Probably not meant for a tie, but decent color selection - 10 or so.

7. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Try The Custom Shirt Shop. Outlets a good many, major malls.

8. eric holm

eric holm Stunt Coordinator

Depending on budget, you might try a local tailer. I found that dress shirts last me a number of years so it's worth spending a little extra. My local guy makes them for less than $100/shirt. Way cheaper than upper end dept store generic shirts and they are both the material I like and cut/collar style.

Might be worth looking into.

9. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Drink more beer, those standard shirts will fit in no time. [​IMG]
    Ahh.. I remember when I used to buy fitted shirts... those were the days... until a button popped off and killed somebody.

10. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

Count me in on this problem as well. With a 9" drop (I think I remember my tailor telling me the average is 6"), shirts that are not fitted just don't work all that well.

11. joe rizzuto

joe rizzuto Stunt Coordinator

and as a completely different train of thought...i used to photograph weddings and would tell the grooms to stick their shirts into their underwear when they got dressed in the morning. the shirts stayed put and i never had to worry about that ugly above the belt look.

12. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

I have the same problem and I refuse to wear the sack shirt. First off, avoid The Gap and Banana Republic. BR's "sretch" line used to be pretty decent, but no longer.

My current favorite is Armani Exchange (A|X). They have some nice fitted shirts. Kenneth Cole is also good.