What's new

Fitted/Tapered dress shirts (1 Viewer)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I wear a 16 34/35 dress/buttondown shirt, but I hate the way the standard size bunches at my waist...real sloppy look. And 15 1/2 is too small a neck. I've found that my absolute favorite fit is with the JC Penny Stafford brand, it's as if they were tailored for me, but their "Athletic Fit" only comes in two colors in one type of shirt.

Anyone have a source for shirts I might like? Either a store or online.

Thanks!

Denward

Supporting Actor
I second www.landsend.com
The selection is very good. The classics are always available and they always seem to have some new and interesting (but conservative) patterns.

Mike Main

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah Landsend shirts tsand up pretty well. Also if u dont like what u order just return it. They make no fuss on returns at all.

Mike

Mark R O

Stunt Coordinator
Perry Ellis dress shirts are outstanding in fit and comfort.
Look at the outlet malls for a factory store.

Jonas Pearson

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 10" drop: 42" chest 32" waist. Based on the grain sack fit of most shirts in the waist these days, these measurements aren't the norm. For me, to avoid looking like I'm wearing maternity clothing, fitted shirts are a must. John Henry makes a nice athletic cut shirt. I think that Van Heusen (sp.?) has them as well. This weekend I picked up some nice fitted dressy shirts on sale at Express Fr Men (formerly Structure). Probably not meant for a tie, but decent color selection - 10 or so.

eric holm

Stunt Coordinator
Depending on budget, you might try a local tailer. I found that dress shirts last me a number of years so it's worth spending a little extra. My local guy makes them for less than $100/shirt. Way cheaper than upper end dept store generic shirts and they are both the material I like and cut/collar style.

Might be worth looking into.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Drink more beer, those standard shirts will fit in no time. :)
Ahh.. I remember when I used to buy fitted shirts... those were the days... until a button popped off and killed somebody.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, guys. "Grain sack fit"...I like it. :) That's just what regular shirts feel like to me. I have no idea what my "drop" is but, since I've been lifting a bit, the problem is getting worse.

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
Count me in on this problem as well. With a 9" drop (I think I remember my tailor telling me the average is 6"), shirts that are not fitted just don't work all that well.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I don't know why I didn't do this earlier, but I found quite a few other styles/colors of "athletic fit" shirts in oxford and broadcloth, button collar and point collar, on jcpenney.com. Ordered a few different ones, since I know that particular taper/size is perfect.

joe rizzuto

Stunt Coordinator
and as a completely different train of thought...i used to photograph weddings and would tell the grooms to stick their shirts into their underwear when they got dressed in the morning. the shirts stayed put and i never had to worry about that ugly above the belt look.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
I have the same problem and I refuse to wear the sack shirt. First off, avoid The Gap and Banana Republic. BR's "sretch" line used to be pretty decent, but no longer.

My current favorite is Armani Exchange (A|X). They have some nice fitted shirts. Kenneth Cole is also good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks