What's new

Fistful Of Dollars on Blu-Ray? (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I am curious why Sony is not putting Fistful of Dollars on Blu Ray in June when the new CE of the film comes out on DVD.

It would seem to make good sense to add the titles to the new format.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Aside from Warner, BD seems to be getting movies from two categories: New releases, and things that PS3 owners will buy. I'm not sure Fistful of Dollars is perceived as fitting in either.

Also, it's in the MGM library, which comes out via Fox, and they're not putting out anything.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Basically, movies primarily appealing to 15-25 year-olds. Action movies and (male) youth-oriented comedies. At least, that's what seems to be the priority from the BD-exclusive stories.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
A Fistful Of Dollars is a Fox title.

edit: Oops, didn't see that Jason Seaver already posted this.

M

Member 323668

;)

Let me think about it.....

Ok, I'd say: "Crank", "Crank", "Crank".

Did I already mention "Crank"?

;)

IMHO, a major marketing failure of the "BD only" "cartel", not to release "classic" films on BD. The only interesting "classic" from Sony was the cancelled "The Professionals". What a shame.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, I own a PS3 and I don't own CRANK. I'm not in the 18-35 demo, but I guess 18-35 year olds who own a PS3 must be a smart breed, considering that BD sales of a nature documentary (planet earth) have been quite strong.

M

Member 323668

Didn't you notice the " ;) "?

I own "Crank" myself btw...

But fact is that we are missing titles on BD like "Fistful of Dollars", "The Professionals", more classic Columbia Westerns, the 50's "epics" like "The Robe", "Demetrius and the Gladiators", Hitchcock, the James Bond collection, "Bridge on the River Kwai", "Lawrence of Arabia", classic SciFi, Fox's John Wayne films, Sony's "Dr. Strangelove" or "Major Dundee"............

Instead we get..... well, "Crank"..... ;)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I'm just saying that this appears to be what those studios think the PS3 owners want, based upon what they release. Especially those that bought the PS3 primarily for games rather than as a movie player. How much truth there is to it, I don't know.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
This was initially announced by Fox to be released on Blu-ray Disc around the same time as the forthcoming SD boxset. Since Fox has bowed out of BD, taking MGM with it, presumably until BD+ is available, I wouldn't expect to see this title until Q4 at the earliest.

I've already got the boxset pre-ordered, as I was anxoius to ditch the PAL speed-up of my R2 SEs. I don't think you'll see Duck You Sucker, for example, on BD for a long time.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

I agree, which is why that's the only title in the set I pre-ordered - gladly ditching the R2 PAL.

Though I'm sticking with the previous R1 versions of the Dollars trilogy for the time being (unless in the next 6 months it starts to look like Fox won't be returning to HD).

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Has there been any further news on the Leone films on Blu Ray disc? thanks!

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
They seem to love to release these films around Father's Day, so I'd say that's the next best release window to hope for.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Any news on these yet? Nothing is coming for Father's day.

I saw the DVD version for $10 at Costco, but I want to wait for Blu ray.

I also read a while back that further mastering is being done for the films on Blu Ray. Hope they are coming out soon!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Thanks! What is the hold up for getting this and the others out in the US?

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

The DOLLARS films would be released by Fox which, at this stage of the game, would overprice them and drop half of their SD bonus features. Be glad there's a delay, so Fox has time to get its act together.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
The question is how much control does a distributor (Fox) have over the entity of MGM. I suspect only managing pressing, packaging, distribution and pricing.

They may also have a stipulation regarding using DTS-MA - it's obvious Fox has some kind of exclusive contract with DTS.

I highly doubt Fox as a distributor calls the shots on what MGM titles get released and when, the quality of the transfers and the content (or lack thereof).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks