What's new

Fist of Legend SE (1 Viewer)

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
I have a question about the English subtitles. Are they reasonably accurate to what is being said in the original Cantonese and Mandarin soundtracks, or are they based on the English dubbing of the 5.1 soundtrack (which apparently is wildly inaccurate to what the characters are really saying)?

Also, if Li's native dialect is Mandarin and that is what he spoke in during filming, then why didn't they use his real voice for the Mandarin version of the soundtrack? Or if he spoke in Cantonese during filming (it seems quite a few Chinese people can speak in both their native dialect as well as Cantonese or Mandarin, as the case may be), why didn't they use his actual voice for the Cantonese version of the soundtrack? Obviously they recorded his voice when making the movie, it's absurd to not be able to hear the star of the movie's voice.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Sorry, a bit of a typo in my post up above about sync sound (which I fixed). But in general Hong Kong films, especially of this vintage and older, did not do sync sound, so even with the native language dialogue was all recorded and replaced in post. Whether the process involved actually recording during filming, I don't know. I suspect not since why would you go to the trouble if you know you're going to record it all in studio later? So if you've seen enough Hong Kong films you'll see lip sync issues even in the original language.

Why they didn't use Li for his own voice, maybe it was availability on his part. But I also get the impression there are some established voice people who do this kind of thing regularly, so it might come down to using people they know are good at it.

Regarding the subtitles and English dub, the only scene I compared was the one where the Mitsuko is saying goodbye to Chen Zhen at the harbor. In the English dub she says, "Do you know how much I want to go with you?" But in the subtitles for the Chinese tracks she says, "Don't be gone too long because I may not wait for you." She's speaking in Japanese, so I can't confirm if the translation for the Chinese tracks is accurate, but her independent, challenging spirit is much more consistent with her character (and Chen Zhen's reaction makes more sense with the subtitle's translation). I could check other spots, but generally I feel like the subtitles are good and certainly preferable to the English dub in terms of meaning.

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
Cameron Yee: Thanks for the info.
Hmm, that's extremely strange for Chinese audiences to not be demanding to hear the real voices of their favorite action movie stars in movies in which they play the leading role.

It's too bad, because then we don't even get to hear what Li sounds like in the film, or how he would interpret the character when talking with others. I mean, good grief, let Li deliver his *performance* of the role. :frowning:

Can you imagine watching Dirty Harry and Clint Eastwood doesn't even speak during the whole movie, they just dub in some other guy instead?? haha

Well, at least it's good to hear that the English subtitles are solid.

James 'Tiger' Lee

Second Unit
Real Name
James Lee
Unfortunatly, this DVD suffers from the same flaw as DD's recent Tai Chi Master: with frames being double printed and slowed down, presumbly to aid audio syncing. Very shoddy and unnaceptable, but sadly typical of the company

As for voice syncing, from the 60s until the mid 90's, it was VERY rare to hear an actor's actual voice in a Hong Kong film. Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, Jet li and many more...all dubbed by others

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
So I was perusing the Asian film sites and saw on HKFlix.com that Police Story 3 from Dragon Dynasty is listed for release on December 30th. I'm hoping this is true...

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
So... was it?!

I finally got around to picking up Fist of Legend from Wal-Mart where I saw it for $13. It had the sticker on it that said "with over 3 hours of extras!", but when I got it open it was only the single disc version (the movie and the commentary). I'm actually okay with that (the two-disc is, like, 22 bucks or something at Best Buy), but I did feel a tad stung what with the sticker being on it and everything.

Looking forward to watching this! Have only seen the Dimension release, so this will be a treat.

James 'Tiger' Lee

Second Unit
Real Name
James Lee
Sadly, it seems Supercop is super-screwed

From Lisa C on the Kung FU Cinema site

"sorry, but no it is the Dimension version. The distributor sent me a review copy and I just finished writing the review. The Cantonese sound is added to the Dimension cut. In fact the end song on the Cantonese track (sung by Jackie Chan) had to be slowed down to fit in the added US credits for editors and rap music added to the Dimension version. At least the subtitles do not follow the horrid English dubbing, but rather the actual words spoken in Cantonese (unless you are using the subtitles for the hearing impaired). No OD’ing hookers and no restaurant back room full of animals (where PETA stands for ‘People Eating Tasty Animals’)

I will give them credit for showing an extra feature where Jackie Chan gets to voice his displeasure at the cuts saying his:
“I don’t understand….We spent two years to put everything together. We edit every single day, every night. Then we hire the music, where we should put the music, when the music stops. We do the best we can….. Suddenly America bought it. They change the music, they change the editing!” Jackie goes on to say, “They only spend ten days or one week to look at the movie, then they automatically know, they wanna change the cut, they wanna change the music, they wanna change this, they wanna change that….What? I spent two years or so every day. They think they’re the best…Ok I don’t want to stop them from making money. As long as the American audiences like it, as long as the bosses like it. But you ask me..I don’t like it.”

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Understandable. The credit song slowdown seems pretty goofy, but I'll have to hear it for myself.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
"I was living in Birmingham at the time (heaven help me…) and had been grudgingly granted membership at the local Chinatown video store. They had no other foreigners renting from them, so my membership card simply read (in Chinese) ‘white guy’."

:laugh:

I'm a novice at all things martial-arts-film wise, but when are we gonna see an uncut, original language, anamorphic, etc., etc., disc of Drunken Master II (AKA, Legend of the Drunken Master). This film has shown up on 100 greatest films of all time lists and the fact a nice DVD ain't available is criminal.

James 'Tiger' Lee

Second Unit
Real Name
James Lee

My understanding is that DMII stayed with Dimension. None of the DVDs anywhere are uncut and or original aspect ratio

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
So I don't have an uncut version to compare it to, but the above comment from Kung Fu Cinema is misleading.

Chan's song ends with the Chinese credits. When the US credits come in there is in fact no music and they continue on in silence. Maybe the song has been slowed down, but with nothing to compare it to, it's very difficult to tell. And I don't know what the point would be if there's no music accompanying the US credits. The song would have to be slowed to a ridiculous rate to fit it all in anyway, and that wasn't what was done.

Though not a perfect release, it is a considerable improvement from the non-anamorphic release. The restoration of the original language reveals the film's more serious tone, though that's not hard to notice since the English dub was so cartoonish. The best example of this is when Chan meets Yang for the first time. In the English dub he came off really pervy and that always bothered me. In the original language he's just being informal and casual.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks