What's new

Fish Recipes? (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Well, we've had a couple of hamburger threads, and I think a steak thread, so how about some fish recipes?

I'd really like to get more fish in my diet but have not really found many good fish recipes.

I'm hoping for mostly baked/broiled methods for various filets and seafood steaks (tuna steaks are my favorite).
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Anyone have any good ideas for broiled/baked fish dishes? What are your favorite kinds of fish? Is rare/raw fish really OK? I saw a good tuna steak recipe on FoodTV last week and the tuna was served very rare (only 2 mins per side, I believe).

Thanks! :)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Anyone have any good ideas for broiled/baked fish dishes?
Maybe more later, but since we are heading for summer, I’ll give an idea that will add fish to your diet and you won’t have to do much prep work (at least for the fish).

Salad Niçoise is a classic summer dish. It consists of canned tuna and vegetables dressed with olive oil..

Boil fresh green beans in salted water until they are al dente or just have a bit of a bite when you test. Boil some small potatoes in salted water. Hard boil some eggs. Quarter the potatoes and eggs (after removing the shell, of course). Drain the tuna and flake with a fork.

Arrange on a platter, sort of grouping the ingredients together, not mixing very much. Add some anchovy filets. And perhaps some black olives (Niçiose are best, natch).

Liberally drizzle olive oil over the ingredients. A great and easy lunch dish, especially if served with a glass of crisp white wine. Edit: I think that a Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand works very well.

A variation on this is to grill a piece of tuna (very rare) and use that instead of the canned tuna.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Grill or sauté salmon filets or steaks to your preference (I like rare to medium rare best). Shred a cucumber (the large holes of a four-sided grater work well) and mix with yogurt or sour cream. Bingo--cucumber relish.

Peel and dice (small) a ripe mango (or a couple of peaches) and perhaps some pineapple. Chop a little coriander and a moderately hot chile, such as a Serrano (you can step up the heat a bit by using a Thai birdseye). Lightly mix this and you have a nice fruity salsa.

Serve the salmon with both the cucumber relish and fruit salsa.

Serve with a decent white. And perhaps some boiled potatoes on the side.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Mix 1 tbs of wasabi powder with 1 tbs water. Salt and pepper both sides of a tuna or salmon (boneless on the salmon) steak. Brush the wasabi mixture on both sides of the steak and dip both sides in regular or panko style breadcrumbs. Put 1-2 tsp of sesame oil in a nonstick skillet over med-hig heat. Cook steaks until medium or desired doneness. I like my steaks thick, so I usually cook the first side for 4 minutes or so, turn and finish in a 400 degree oven for 6-7 minutes.

Also, lightly flour both sides of a tuna steak, be careful not to flour the vertical sides (for appearance). Dip in beaten egg, both sides and then in coconut, both sides. Sear both sides in sesame oil, leaving a good portion of the middle rare. Slice with a sharp knife into 1/4 in slices and serve the slices fanned out with a soy sauce based sweet and sour sauce (soy, brown sugar, rice-wine vinegar and green onion, sliced very thin). This recipe will get you ready to make the move to real sushi, cause tuna should never be eaten cooked more than medium and the rarer it is the better. Just cook it enough to toast the coconut and you're in heaven.

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Salmon is one of my favorites and we're in the season for grilling. My favorite way to cook salmon is to get a thick filet and cut it into portion strips weighing about six to eight ounces each. After checking to make sure all the bones are removed, I rub the filet pieces in olive oil and put them, skin side down, on a very hot grill. (Note that I don't oil the grill first.)

After three minutes I lightly oil another part of the grill and flip the filets to the oiled portion. If you've cooked it right, the filets will lift right out of the skin. After another three minutes I take them off and serve.

(You'll probably have to adjust the timing depending on how hot your grill gets.)

If the salmon is cooked correctly, it will be medium-rare and the "layers" will come apart with little to no effort. This incredibly simple method is my favorite, but I also enjoy slowly smoking salmon with lots of crushed herbs, and grilling an herbed filet on a cedar slab.

I also have a great curried catfish pan fry that is out of this world...

-greg

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
By all means, fresh, raw fish is good and good for you.

Try this. Take raw, sushi-grade tuna and cut into small cubes. Prepare a sauce of mayonnaise, a small amount of mustard (Dijon or spicy: I use Boar's Head spicy), a dash of your favorite hot sauce and finely minced green onion. Mix the sauce into the tuna chunks just as you would prepare tuna salad for a very tasty alternative to "canned tuna + mayo". I serve this over thin slices of pineapple and/or mango coated with a thin touch of olive oil. I garnish with a small amount of shredded coconut (a bullet for your coronary arteries!) on top. Or, I buy a standard California roll from the market's sushi section and serve this "tuna salad" on top (I stole this idea from a sushi place: they call it the "diablo roll").

Also, a "carpacio" of tuna is delicious. Take raw, sushi-grade tuna and slice into very thin sheets. Arrange on a plate and drizzle with olive oil, add a few capers and shave a few thin slices of peccorino romano or similar hard cheese on top. Makes a great appetizer for a summer dinner.

As far as favorite fish and other sea creatures: red snapper, tuna, yellowtail, sea urchin (Italians eat as much of this as the Japanese, maybe more), squid, octopus. It's all great.

Dick Smyrak

Auditioning
Hi all, I love this very simple way to fix walleye. take regular saltine crackers make into powder, dip fillets in beer batter or egg, roll into cracker crumbs and fry in staight butter over low to med. low heat, sprinke lemon pepper and 7 minutes each side or until light golden brown.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Mmmmmmm. Good stuff.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Buzz (or anyone), do you know what this would translate to in an oven? I don't have a grill (hence the baked/broiled request). :frowning:

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
One more - Blackened catfish

Get a bottle of Chef Paul Prudhommes "Blacked Seasoning Mix". Get some fresh catfish fillets, medium sized. Completely cover both sides of fillets with a liberal sprinkle of the seasoning. Let sit for about a 1/2 hour in the fridge. Take a 10-12" cast iron skillet, put it on high heat for about 10 minutes (should almost glow) and open all the windows. Put 3-4 tbs of unsalted butter in the pan and let it melt(i.e. brown). Put the fish in 2 fillets at a time and cook about 3-4 minutes on each side, avoiding the smoke. The thick parts of the filet should be tender to a fork and the thin parts should be crisp and crunchy. Drain and serve with red beans and rice or some fresh corn.

This is my absolute favorite fish dish, but it is tough on the arteries.

About the grill->oven question. A broiler is just an upside down grill. You can broil anything you can grill. It won't be exactly the same, but the food can be prepared the same way.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

But in this recipe, Buzz says use low heat. You can't regulate a broiler, it's only settings are on or off. That's why I wondered if anyone knew the approximate oven temp for a grill set on low.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
But you can adjust the distance from the broiler and leave to door open to allow heat to dissipate. Just like a charcoal grill, keep the food farther away from the heat for a lower temp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks