First week with SACD SCD-CE775

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by anthony_b, Nov 1, 2002.

1. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Equipment used : ONKYO 575x - POLK LSI 15 TOWERS – CS400I center – rt35i surrounds and Velodyne ct15 sub.

Connection used: Acoustic Research toslink cable
    5.1 Interconnects Monster cable 400kII

CD’s : Diana Krall (tribute to Nat King Cole trio)
    Ottmar Liebert (Luna Negra)

SACD’s: James Taylor (Hourglass)
    Miles Davis (Kind Of Blue).

Setting up the player was very easy; really no needs to use the manual except for speakers and distance settings. (Setting used for this review was 5 large + SW).
    The first CD I sampled was a Diana Krall tribute to Nat King Cole I own. Out of the box my first impression was that it was more detailed and had a larger soundstage than my old Marantz cc3000. I was amazed how well it sounded right out of the box, especially a unit that cost me $169 plus a free SACD!!…Next I tested Ottmar Liebert who’s an excellent acoustic guitar player. I use this CD a lot to test speakers because in my opinion it can show the characteristics of speakers and components. Again, the notes were “airy” and very detailed….Overall the Redbook playback was very good with some slight digital harshness, but I believe that in time it will refine itself.

Now to SACD….I was a little bit nervous about this because, I jumped into this format without trying it at home like I did with DVD-A, and I was hopping that my small investment was not going to be money down the drain. For example when I first got in to DVD-A I had goose bumps when I first heard “Riding with the King” and for SACD to be a success I needed to relive that feeling I got with my previous experience…So, I put in James Taylor’s Hourglass, (the multichannel tracks) I got those goose bumps again with the first few seconds of the first track!!…When I tried it in stereo I had to get up from my sofa a couple of times to make sure the center channel was not on !!!..What freaking imaging! James Taylor was right in the middle of the sounstage…I can’t remember ever putting my ear on the center channel thinking it was on. With any other recording or format !!!…. Unfortunately I didn’t feel the same with KIND of blue. It does sound better than my remastered CD but not to the point where my wife could tell the difference in an A/B comparison.

In conclusion I’m very happy with my purchase (most of my favorite artists are on SONY)…Now for those of you who want to know which format is my favorite I would have to SACD. Only because it’s more convenient to just put a DISC and not worry about turning on the TV and selecting the surround-stereo or dts track. Sonically
    It will be difficult for anyone to declare a clear winner….Just listen to HOTEL CALIFORNIA on DVD-A !!!

2. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

It's encouraging that you found the Sony to be superior to the Marantz CC3000. I had the 3000 in my house for a week but returned it because I was very disapointed with its performance, for both analogue and digital. I'm considering the Sony SCD-C222ES, which is similar to your CE775 (if Oade ever gets the 222ES back in stock) to replace the Marantz.

3. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I felt the same way when I first tried out my 775 with James Taylor. Excellent soundstage and a beautiful tone to the recording.
    This disc alone makes me believe in SACD.

The great sound on the 775 makes me wonder how good could it get with a mod. If the 555ES sounds even better than this that would be quite a player.

4. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

I'm going to try and experiment with the speaker settings on the unit - such as the multichannel direct (just to see how it sounds)...

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Anthony, glad to hear you are enjoying the 'CE775 and SACD. [​IMG] [​IMG] I agree that Hourglass is incredible on SACD. The stereo track that always gives me goosebumps is "Gaia". That track is sensational on SACD.
    Like you, I have not found the Kind of Blue SACD to be as moving, but it is better than the remastered CD. The SACD sounds wider and deeper than the CD, which is flat and closed-in by comparison.
    One other SACD that really gets me jazzed in a way like Hourglass is The Sopranos: Peppers & Eggs. It is a two-disc set, so it is a bit pricey (e.g., $32.99 at Best Buy), but it well worth it. Get this disc and listen to Kasey Chambers "The Captain", Nils Lofgren "Black Books", and Frank Sinatra "Baubles, Bangles and Beads". Those tracks are outstanding. Also, the Police/Henry Mancini track is a trip. I highly recommend this set.

6. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Keith, they have the Sopranos SACD at my local Best Buy, I'll check it out..thanks

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Anthony, no problem. If you do pick it up, do post your impressions. By the way, I have The Sopranos: Peppers & Eggs on CD as well, and while it is a great-sounding CD, the SACD is on another level. In fact, the SACD is a bit spooky. Vocals are incredibly "there" on the SACD. This one is a real winner.