What's new

First Week, First Mac! (1 Viewer)

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Well after my first month on OS X I had to revert back to my old WinXP for a week (due to macbook hardware repairs). I actually dreaded using XP that week and missed OS X. I got back on OS X three days ago and it feels much better and I'm loving it. I want to say "I wish I switched to Mac long ago" or "I switched to Mac and I'll never go back" but I think I should reserve that comment for later on down the road. But I am trully loving my blackbook and OS X immensely.

I wanted to comment shortly on uninstaller apps. I had been using AppDelete whih works nicely (basicily just like AppZapper). But yesterday I wanted to backup my "Opera Preferences" folder and "com.operasoftware.Opera.plist" file then do a clean install of Opera's latest final release. When I started to use AppDelete it not only found the Opera associated folder/files in Libraries/Preferences but also the backed up folder/files in a subfolder in my "Documents" folder and AppDelete would have deleted everything with no way to deselect specific folders/files during uninstallation. AppZapper lets you deselect specific folders/files during uninstallation. So be careful of uninstallers. I went ahead and bought AppZapper for that added feature of deselecting specific folders/files during uninstallation. Now I have a fresh Opera with my old bookmarks/cookies/wand files manually added. :)

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Oh well, my screen went black again today. Their sending a box to ship it in for repair again. It's clearly a hardware issue. I guess I just got a lemon. I asked him to just take this one and send me a macbook pro and let me pay the difference, he said at this point a repair needs to been tried. :frowning: So back on m old Dell again for around a week. Having trouble hitting the right keys for keyboard shortcuts now. lol

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm sorry to hear that Daryl. :frowning: It's always stressful buying a big new item, and then having to immediately deal with warranty issues. I hope they can resolve it this go around.

I love the MBP, but I hate to see a person blow their budget from short-term frustrations. If the MacBook's the laptop for you, stick with it and see if Apple can make this right. You might also ask them, directly, about "making it right", as you've had it out for repair for, what, 2 weeks in 2 months of ownership?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Jeez, Daryl, I never heard someone having this many problems
with a Mac notebook.

Very sorry to hear this is happening to you, my friend.

I also hate to see you blow your budget on a MBP, but I think
once you have it in your hands, you'll never want to go back to
a Macbook.

Please keep us all up-to-date on your progress here.

ErichH

Screenwriter
Daryl - very sorry to hear about your trials with the book.

Here's hopeing you connect on the third swing.
Apple owes you a hanger over the plate.

Best

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Thx guys. Let me clarify my comment to the tech about upgrading by replacing the macbook with a macbook pro (with me paying the cost difference obviously) was not because I felt all macbooks were bad. I think I just got a lemon, it happens. It's just after going back to my Dell's 15 inch screen previously clearly showed just how small the macbooks screen is and how much I really miss that screen size.

They changed the logic board (motherboard) before and it happened again leads me to believe they either couldn't find the true problem OR the logic board was bad but still the true problem was missed which is whats messing up the logic board. Like those pesky gremlins in lemon cars that just can't be figured out. I decided if they for some reason they contact me saying the macbook needs replacing I'm going to try and convince them to let me pay the cost difference and upgrade to the 15 inch macbook pro. Luckly I had backed up my document folder contents, browsers and mail folders and preferences files the day before it failed. :)

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
DHL delivered my macbook to the Apple repair center (Menphis TN) today. Apple's repair status website already list it as. Could be awhile. Wasn't on hold last time.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
:frowning: Bummer. Hope the part shows up soon. If the MacBook gets refreshed next Wed (Sept 5) and you still don't have your MB back, I suggest talking with Apple (calmly, not angrily) and about bumping your system to the new one. There's nothing to lose, and it's not unreasonable given two repairs immediately after ownership. You could have just waited for the refresh to buy and been better off.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Hehe, good idea but I can't see them refreshing the macbook this soon. And no rumors about the possiblity at macrumors. Actually I'm not angry, not even felt bothered by the situation. They've been really easy to deal with, smoothest, fastest repair situation I've ever experienced.

Having to order the part gives me the feeling they actually found the root of the problem this time (I could be wrong though) which I feel has something to do with the power unit (not the power block/adapter) frying something. You can bet if it happens again and they decide to replace it that I'll push hard (nicely) for the option to upgrade to macbook pro. :)

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
I got my blackbook back Monday (17th). Seems to be working ok, but it did the last time I got it back also. This time it came back with a fresh install of OS X so I had to reinstall all 3rd party apps. Kinda glad too because I wanted a fresh install after that reinstall/preserve tech had me to try when it first messed up. Luckily I had backed up my mail and browsers needed files and all my personal files just the day before it messed up. A letter in the return stated The last time they repaired it for the same problem they replaced:
630-8919 PCB ASSY MLB BEST M42B (also listed in the latest repair below)
605-1288 SVC TOP CASE M42B BLK (also listed in the latest repair below)

This time I'm not sure what was actually done/replaced because the Service Details page makes no sense as to the parts used as service and/or replacement parts used (listed below).

016-0023 RESTORE:OSsoftware
655-1369 DA FUJITSU M80+ SATA 160GB HDD
630-8919 PCB ASSY MLB BEST M42B
605-1288 SVC TOP CASE M42B BLK
655-1328 DA SEAGATE VENUS 5400RPM SATA
655-1313 DA HITACHI SURUGA-B SATA 160GB
016-0028 RESTORE:MAC OS

Also, I can tell part 605-1288 SVC TOP CASE M42B BLK is different from the one they previously replaced the original with (due to a broken delete key) because the C key in this replacement responds better than the previous replacement. As for the hard drive, my About this Mac>More info>System Profiler section lists the Hitachi.

I'm just SOOOOOOOOO GLAAAAAAAAAD it's back! :D I was getting so annoyed with windows again on my old Dell. I can now say "I LOVE my Mac, and I AIN'T going back! ;)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Daryl, I was thinking about you earlier today, wondering where you'd gone to. Glad to hear your Mac is back! :emoji_thumbsup: I hope it's working well now.

And I came across a Mac tip I thought you'd enjoy, but it's escaped me...I've got it now: Cmd-` cycles through all application windows, similar to Witch (but without the GUI). "A New Mac Tip Every Day" (Dashboard) (website) gives good tips here and there.

Let us know how the repair goes.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
I got a courtesy call from Apple tech support late yesterday afternoon asking how my mac was doing. I said "fine so far but I'd only had it two and a half days. The last time it ran 10 days before failing" ;) I asked about the parts used for repair telling him what was listed on my Service Details paper and how it made no sense. He said it was partially incorrect and told me what was replaced (parts listed below).

655-1313 DA HITACHI SURUGA-B SATA 160GB
605-1288 SVC TOP CASE M42B BLK

and Power Inverter (not listed on my paper)

I said in a previous post I though the real problem was somewhere in the power path and apparently I was on track.
Thx DaveF. I saw that tip too. I actually subscribed to the "A New Mac Tip Every Day" rss feed before I even ordered my mac. Read it every day. :)

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Well, I'm back on my old Dell WinXP and it is sooo weird. I feel lost on it. For the third time my screen went out today with the exact same problem as before. I clearly got a lemon. And I had just updated to Superduper! 2.5 and was about to make a fresh bootable clone. Luckily I had updated the backup of my User account with CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) just yesterday. This time they're letting me pay the difference and upgrade to the 15" MacbookPro (I chose the entry level model). So hopefully in about a weeks time I'll be on a MacbookPro. :D

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Daryl,
Sorry to hear about your problems. I've had a couple lesser hardware issues with my MBP (bad lid-closed sensor & bad battery). Fortunately Apple's been prompt and easy with the service. I hope you've had fast turn-around with this problems.

And that's not bad being able to step up for simply the price-difference. Hopefully you get one of the new models rumored to be out Real Soon Now (tm).

I've been meaning to ask you if you've tried (or have any interest in) MacSpeech Dictate? From the MacWorld podcasts, it sounds very powerful, and can be used to control your computer, not just word processor dictation.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Thanks Dave. Apple has been prompt and easy with the service on my situation also. I feel I've had a fast turn-around with my problem. As for getting a new rumored model, I doubt it. Once I print out my shipping label today and schedule a FedEx pickup for tomorrow their going to ship my MacbookPro once they get confirmation from FedEx the package has been scanned in (picked up).

I hadn't read about or heard of MacSpeech Dictate. Actually Leopards speech tools works very well but I still prefer using my mouthstick and trackball to do everything. I'll give it a look at though, thank you. :)

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
DaveF,

Well, now I'm a bit confused. Tuesday 5th I was approved for the upgrade to the entry level 15" MacbookPro:

I called to confirm that their not sending and charging me for the mid level MBP. She confirmed I'm getting the entry level MBP and will only be charged $500. Now the rumor is the MBP update is coming on Feb 12th and my shipping date says between the 8th and 12th so maybe I will be getting one of the updated models, I'm not sure.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Daryl, I don't know how their inventory channel works, but it may be that your timing is such that you're getting a new "entry" MacBook Pro. With the change happening next week, they may have made the model changeover internally already. Your specs are the same as mine, and I bought the mid-level last summer (though matte, not gloss).

Hopefully this one doesn't give you any troubles. I really like my MBP. I prefer the larger screen, faster processor, and backlit keyboard. It's a nicely designed system.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Figured I'd let you guys know I got my new MBP up and running yesterday after lunch. It is the current model and not an updated model. Also even though I was suppose to have been getting the entry level 2.2GHz, 120 GB HDD MBP for a $500 upgrade cost from the Black MacBook, the specs on the Order Status page was not wrong. I was sent the mid-level model with 2.4GHz, 160GB HDD and 256 VRAM. I checked my credit card status and was only charged the $500 upgrade cost for the entry level model. I spoke with sales rep again today and she again confirmed for the 3rd time I got the entry level model. So I don't know where the confusion/mixup is but I'm totally confused and extremely excited because I got a mid-level model for the entry level price. I've been honest about this situation so I can't be accused of ripping Apple off. :D

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/2/2c/htf_imgcache_25972.jpeg] [/url]

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/f/f3/htf_imgcache_25973.jpeg] [/url]

Couldn't figure out how to crop out my serial # from the screenshots so I cropped specific areas. I had to update to 10.5.2 but it came with iLife '08 on it. An updated model may be around the corner but I got more than expected for my money so I'm quite satisfied. And this 15" screen is much nicer than that macbooks 13" screen. The contrast and black level on this LED screen is far better than on the MacBoks LCD screen. Blacks and shadows aren't crushed. The backlit keyboard is pretty nice too :)

I AM NOW A HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY MACBOOK PRO OWNER! :D

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
:emoji_thumbsup: Same machine I've got. I love it. It's always nice when a bit of trouble is able to turn into a better outcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks