What's new

First version of BluRay specifications approved... (1 Viewer)

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
You haven't found them because these specifications are for the ROM specs. It doesn't cover the specs for the consumer media delivery format. Since the consumer media delivery format has to build from the ROM specs, the ROM specs get published first.

This is exactly how the origianl DVD Forum worked. The ROM specs rolled out first, followed by the consumer media delivery format.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

Well that would explain it, but it's curious that news stories did not make this clear either. I must have read 4 stories and it was focused on movie playback.

Thanks John for the comments.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
The first paragraph of the story to which you provided the link said that

The pressing plants don't have to care much which codec(s) win, just so long as the physical format of the discs does not change out from under them.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
H.264/AVC FRExt to be precise, but with all things Sony, what ever is? :D

However, even if the best, most efficient codec is chosen we could still be given crappy, filtered 1080i video and Dolby Digital vs. DTS wars yet again.

I haven't heard one word about what advanced audio solution will be included with Blu-Ray. HD-DVD says they'll use MLP high rez. for lossless compression.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.