First Venture Into Separates!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaveGB, Sep 6, 2001.

1. DaveGB

DaveGB Auditioning

My new Acurus 200x5 amp just arrived last night (wife received it when I was out - so much for the clandestine addition to the HT! - This morning: "We will talk about it tonight...").
    I know it is emphasized that the amp should get plugged directly into the wall and not into a power cleanser. But... the cord is not long enough.
    Any idea where I can get a longer cord?
    Is there a difference in cord qualities? and
    Can I just plug in an extension cord?
    Finally, I will be using the Acurus (Ubid) with my Integra 7.1 Receiver along with brand new Silvercat Catcable interconnects. Anyone have any tips on the setup or comments on this combination?
    ...how about any tips on how to handle the Mrs. tonight?
    Dave

2. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

Congrats on your choice in amps. IMO, the Acurus is a great value. I own a couple of Aragon amps(big bro to Acurus) and have auditioned your amp also. As far as the cord goes, I purchased a couple of Bob Crump design power cords from Kevin Haskins(219-462-4547), all proceeds go to a childrens charity. Here is link:
    http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/cables/messages/7885.html

3. DaveGB

DaveGB Auditioning

Frank -
    Thanks for the lead on the cables. I am sure that the other members will benefit from fine cords for a good cause. It definitely makes it easier to break to the spouse. I can already hear it... "Honey, its for the kids..."
    Now if he only makes speakers, amps, interconnects...
    Thanks again for the comments.
    Dave

4. charles_w

charles_w Stunt Coordinator

Dave,
    I have an Acurus A200x5 on the way from ubid also.
    However I can't find any specs on the power consumption, do you know how many amps it draws? I'm thinking of adding a seperate circuit before it arrives.
    Any advice on how to handle the Wife?? (She doesn't know yet)
    Lee
    [Edited last by charles_w on September 08, 2001 at 08:49 AM]

5. Jason Watson

Jason Watson Stunt Coordinator

Dave,
    I can answer this with more than a little conviction! I have Acurus amps and a Monster Cable HTS3500. After much listening to 2ch.music, I had decided the amps(or at least the A250)sounded better with their custom 12ga. power cables plugged directly into the wall. The difference was very slight. I found much greater differences if the amps were allowed time to warm up. As a result, I had been plugging them directly to the wall and leaving them on 24/7. Well, we evidently had a near by lightening strike and my pre/pro was zapped through the amps. Amps are stout and evidently better able to withstand a little more abuse,but the pre is well and truly screwed. From now on EVERYTHING will be plugged into a good power conditioner/surge supressor.I will still be leaving them on 24/7 though.
    Jason
    BTW,you're gonna love that 200X3!

6. DaveGB

DaveGB Auditioning

Charles & Jason -
    I have plugged the amp into a separate outlet on the same circuit. I have all of my equipment (to include two other amps and the Integra receiver) on the same circuit with NO problems.
    Charles - In re the wife: I am clean busted and will be getting a new refrigerator in the next 30 days.... The killer is when she discovered the Silvercats also.
    Jason - I am looking into the RPC-120 from Mondial (power cleanser). It is designed for amps as well and can be controlled w/ my Integra's 12v trigger.
    Link: http://www.klipsch.com/mondial/index...=y&id=&line=&1
    This will allow me to turn on all of the components with one remote. Problem: The RPC comes with a 3-4 foot cord. I will need about a 10' cord. I would prefer not to use an extension but am considering having the cords swapped out.
    Anyone have any suggestions here?