What's new

First UltraViolet titles announced (1 Viewer)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Warner has confirmed that Green Lantern and Horrible Bosses will be their first UltraViolet releases. The included UltraViolet copy is the theatrical version without any special features. It includes streaming and up to three downloads that can be accessed over a three year period. The UltraViolet copy needs to be redeemed by October 2013.

“Beginning with the releases of Horrible Bosses and Green Lantern in the fourth quarter, the vast majority of our future home video new releases will be UV enabled,” said Time Warner's CEO Jeffrey Bewkes. He went on to say “we believe that this could fundamentally change how people manage and watch their movie collections and it could significantly improve the value proposition of digital ownership,”

It will be interesting to see if consumers see it that way. Will UltraViolet be a selling feature for you?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I guess it would help if I first knew what it was. :D

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118040855

PatH

Second Unit
Does this mean that after this three-year period, I would have to buy the movie again? If so, it sounds little better than extended DIVX. Seems to me that it would be simpler for Hollywood to get its Congressional lackeys to levy the death penalty on video pirates:D But then I'm old enough to remember when Jack Valenti called anyone who copied a movie (don't know if he meant OTA recording as well) "a cancer on the underbelly of America". PatH

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
This still sounds like a stupid idea. The way Ultravox should work is this.

You buy the movie. either DVD, Bluray or a direct download. You register it with Ultravox and it allows you, with a valid Ultravox account to stream it/download it anywhere you desire. For as long as the service exists. It's a freedom you could subscribe to for a nominal fee if you see value in it. Ultravox should be a media license. I bought the movie on bluray, with ultravox I can enjoy it anytime, anywhere for however long I want as a downloadable/streaming digital file because I paid for the movie already when I bought the DVD or Bluray, or digital download.

As it stands, it seems to be another misguided attempt to get people who steal movies to pay for them or to stop stealing. Those people are never going to do that. The people illegally downloading films are the same ones that would rent them and tape them, or copy the material off of TV.

Then there's always the ugly truth about piracy...

http://www.geek.com/articles/geek-cetera/movie-industry-bins-report-proving-pirates-are-great-consumers-20110720/

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I'm just reading about UV with this thread. And it's not going to do it for me. I want to be able to buy the movie, rip it, and put it on my media server. Having to go through some service that can at some point go away isn't good enough. I haven't thought about it much, but the farthest I would go is if they wanted to have me obtain (or even purchase) a license of some sort to be able to keep the titles I've purchased on my server. They could check the key and if it didn't match it could send them a notification. I would want to be able to watch when internet connectivity is down, so no-go on real-time authentication. the license would have to stipulate that at no time do they have write access to my disk space. (Other than the notification queuing. We can work out that kink later.) After re-reading my proposal, it's not that far off from what Russell just said, except without the ripping and owership. If the digital copy came with the original movie I could buy into Russell's idea.

LarryH

Supporting Actor
I have never streamed or downloaded a movie and I hope I never have to. This just spawns more FUD IMHO.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Al.Anderson said:
I'm just reading about UV with this thread. And it's not going to do it for me. I want to be able to buy the movie, rip it, and put it on my media server. Having to go through some service that can at some point go away isn't good enough. I haven't thought about it much, but the farthest I would go is if they wanted to have me obtain (or even purchase) a license of some sort to be able to keep the titles I've purchased on my server. They could check the key and if it didn't match it could send them a notification. I would want to be able to watch when internet connectivity is down, so no-go on real-time authentication. the license would have to stipulate that at no time do they have write access to my disk space. (Other than the notification queuing. We can work out that kink later.) After re-reading my proposal, it's not that far off from what Russell just said, except without the ripping and owership. If the digital copy came with the original movie I could buy into Russell's idea.
Ultraviolet supports DNLA servers according to the faq: http://uvdemystified.com/uvfaq.html

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks