First timer - Newbie needs some help please

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChrisCT, Oct 14, 2001.

1. ChrisCT

ChrisCT Auditioning

Hi - very interesting board. I'm a newbie at all this, and had a few questions that I was hoping someone could help with.
    My wife and I just went out to upgrade our television viewing experience (got a little tired of the 12 year old 19" Sony and VCR). We bought the following:
    • Sony WEGA 32" (KV32FV27)
    • Sony Dream System (DAV-C700)- it's a DVD player/receiver in one machine
    We also have:
    • Really old VCR (Zenith something-or-other)
    • AT&T Digital cable (which requires a cable box)
    My question is - how do I hook all this stuff up? What I did for the short term was:
    • cable line ---> splitter ---> TV
    • cable line ---> splitter ---> cable box ---> VCR ---> TV
    • DVD/Receiver ---> (with component cables)
    With this set-up all works fine, but am I getting the best picture (note, the VCR does not have S-jacks)? I also can't get the TV to play sound through the DVD receiver (ie, to use the speakers). Should/can I run everything through the receiver? Am I even asking all the right questions?
    Really would appreciate any help you all can provide. Thanks in advance.
    Chris

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi chris - welcome to the forum. a couple of things i noticed.
    1. cable: why are you running a splitter? i would run something like this....wall --> cable --> vcr --> tv. that should take care of the picture
      (*)picture: you should have no problem running the picture through the receiver. some people say there will be signal degredation going through the receiver, but i feel with your setup this won't be an issue. you can always test and see for yourself
    2. audio: on the back of the tv will be a pair of red/white jacks labeled "audio out". you'll need to run that to an aux input on your receiver[/list=a]
      hopefully that makes some sense. if you have any other questions, just ask!
      ------------------
      You step in the stream,
      But the water has moved on.
      This page is not here.

3. ChrisCT

ChrisCT Auditioning

Thanks Ted.
    I ran it through the splitter so I could get PIP. Seems to work.
    The audio works now as well. So I guess until I get more used to everything it's all good for now. Now on to figuring out how to program one remote to do the job of four...
    C.