First time subwoofer setup help needed.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allen Longcor, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

Ok I just got my sub delivered by the awesome people at acoustic-visions.com (I will review it once I tweak everything). It is similiar to the 85 liter shiva in their showcase section, only mine is downfiring. I have some questions about setting it up properly though. Right now it is about 1 1/2 feet in front of my left speaker. This is one of the only open spots for it. It is in a normal bedroom that is not the master bedroom. Alternately I could put it under the right surround speaker, giving it more room, or under the left surround speaker which will make it effectively blocked on three sides by two walls and my bed. These are the only three spots available so which one would most likely be best. I may try them all but that would be time consuming [​IMG] I used Avia to calibrate my system but I don't feel like my bass is all that it could be. I have the crossover all the way up and the phase at about 140. I got these by using the Avia setup and recommendations on the crossover. Are there any tips or help that you guys can give me? I would appreciate anything.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

One technique to try is to put the sub in the exact spot of your primary listening position. Disable all the other speakers and fire up some bass-heavy movie/music (depending upon your tastes). Put the sound in an A/B loop so you get constant sound.

Now visit all 3 possible sub locations and listen to the bass. Is it tight/loose/boomey/etc.

Pick the position that sounds the best to you. Reposition the sub here. By the law of reflections, the good bass should now appear at the primary listening position.

Recalibrate the levels (because it will likely have changed with the move) and enjoy.

Hope this helps.

3. Joe Coccimiglio

Hello Bob and Allen, I have a question on this topic. I just picked up my first sub and not to sure on proper location or setup. Would using the crossover be better than just the "line out" jacks that feed into the receiver? I'm still a little green but learning fast. [​IMG]

4. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

I have no clue heheeh. I was told to turn my crossover all the way up on my sub so as not to limit myself. It will be a pain, but I will just have to move it around and see what sounds best.

5. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Joe - Since most receivers have a hard crossover point of 80-90Hz internally for the LFE, you will want to run the RCA cable to the sub and disable (if available on the sub) the sub's crossover, or turn the crossover all the way up. Then, go into your receiver's set-up menu and set all speakers to small and set the bass out to sub only.
    By doing this, you should eliminate any holes in the soundfield and it will not damage your sub.

6. Joe Coccimiglio

O.K. Just to confirm, I run the RCA cable with the Y-adapter (Pre-Out) from my receiver to LINE IN into my sub right? What about the main speakers that are hook up thru the cross over jacks on the sub should I unhook them and just run them thru the receiver as well?

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Joe: With a Dolby Digital receiver, just ignore those speaker inputs on the sub.

The OLD style of hooking up a sub was to run the L/R speaker signals to the sub, then more wire from the sub to your actual speakers. The sub would strip off what it wanted, and pass the rest onto the speakers.

This only works for the L/R speakers.

Dolby Digital receivers will take:

- The .1 track from a DVD

- The low-frequency information from any speaker defined as SMALL

And send all this out the LFE port. So the sub will handle the low-frequency for ALL 5/6 speakers.

Hope this helps.

8. Joe Coccimiglio

Thanks Bob, I finally see the light![​IMG] I did what you suggested and WOW big difference. One last question, what are the "line out" ports on the sub for?