First Time Seeing 2010

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam Sanchez, Nov 20, 2001.

1. Adam Sanchez

Adam Sanchez Supporting Actor

Hey all,

Believe it or not I just saw 2010 for my first time this afternoon. I stayed home sick from work and my Step Dad has it on DVD so I thought why not. I still haven't seen 2001 but he didn't have that one. :) Yeah I'm sure it's a crime that I haven't seen them both long ago, but hey I'm only 24!

Anyway I'm not quite sure I understood the ending in 2010.

What exactly happened? Did aliens blow up Jupiter and make a new sun for us? Or were there some new planets to? What is the monolith, does anyone really know? And what was the deal with that star child we see so briefly?

Sorry for all the questions. The movie was good, now I need to see the original. This has been my week for movies I've never seen. Just saw The Family Man last night and really enjoyed it too.

2. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

.1) Jupiter was not blown up. I may be wrong here but I believe that it has been theorized that Jupiter could actually have been the beginning of another sun. Jupiter, however, did not have the mass required to initiate a spontaneous fusion reaction. The monoliths in the film multiply in order to create the mass required for the hydrogen in Jupiter's atmosphere to start fusing, thereby creating a second sun. The second sun was required to provide light and warmth for the new lifeform evolving on one of Jupiter's moons.

2) No new planets were formed.

3) Nobody really knows for sure what the monoliths are. They could be sentinels for an alien race or they could be an alien race. It is sort of left up to the viewer to interpret.

4) To get an answer to this question it is best to watch the first movie

3. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

Here are answers from the book:

1.) Edwin was dead nuts on. Incidentally, single sun systems, like our own, are actually rare in the universe. It is much more common to have binary star systems.

3.) According to the book the Monoliths are a type of sentient computer. At the end of "2010" the spirits of HAL and Dave Bowman are united inside the Monolith so that they can watch over the new life form evolving on Europa.

4.) The Star Child is the evolved version of Dave Bowman from "2001". The Aliens assist him in evolving to a being of pure mind (spirit). However, since Man is new to this form he is in essence an embroyo.

Hope that helps. Definitely watch the first movie, "2001".

Kenneth

4. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

OK, I'll just slap the rest of this post in spoiler, as its a question about the thing that happens at the end of the film. Incidentally, I don't think its spoilerific to say that its pretty bad physics if it does what I think it does.

The extra mass coming from nowhere I'll let slide (they are superadvanced alien intelligences, so I'm not arguing right now), but surely if Jupiter has a much (at least 8 times) the mass it used to have then the orbits of the planets are going to be pretty seriously disrupted by that?

5. chris_sharpe

chris_sharpe Stunt Coordinator

If you read the books they explain a lot about the details that the movies only touch on.
    BTW shame on you for not having 2001. [​IMG]

6. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

2010? Isn't that movie just a bad rumor like Jaws 3?
    [​IMG]

7. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron
    All right, time to throw in my two cents...
    First of all, the monoliths managed to detonate Jupiter by increasing the density of it's atmosphere. Although the overall mass was the same, having all that mass occupy a smaller volume rendered it highly unstable. It had no choice but to blow up.
    Planets were formed in the process, or should I say the moons were renamed planets. Of the four well known moons -- Io, Europa, Ganymede and Callisto -- Io became more violent than ever, and Ganymede and Callisto became targets for human exploration. As for Europa, the heat from Lucifer (Jupiter) began to melt the icy surface. The life that was detected below the surface of the ice (moderate mention in the movie, but a dramatic plot point in the book) could now fully develop under the rays of the new sun.
    Now here's where I wish the moviemakers didn't fiddle around with the book so much. In the movie, the Cold War was still going on strong. But in the book, USA and Russia were no longer enemies although they were still very competitive. The key element in the book was the continuing existence of China's current political atmosphere, powerful enough for them to build a ship and try to reach Discovery before the Leonov got even close. Their approach was well thought up and had a good chance of succeeding -- until their fateful encounter with Europa's pre-Lucifer inhabitants.
    The world as described in the book is much more accurate than the world described in the movie. Didn't the filmmakers trust Arthur Clarke's vision of things to come?

That's my two cents. Or three and a half cents in Canadian funds. [​IMG]

8. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

9. MikeCD

MikeCD Stunt Coordinator

Are there any plans to film 2060:Odyessy 3? And I think there's a 4th book-3001-?

10. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

In an oddity, China did announce this morning that they would be the first nation with long-term space flight, and the first nation to put men on Mars.

They issued the statement saying they would put their strength behind their space program.. which probably says more about how accurate 2010 was to the current environment then anything else.

11. Ivan Lindenfeld

Ivan Lindenfeld Second Unit

I may lose my license to review movies on HTF for this, but 2010 is one of my favorite movies. [​IMG]
    The ending has Europa emerging as a new planet with life in the Solar system. Jupiter becomes the star for that planet and possibly a new planetary system within the Solar system. It is not specifically outlined and I'm ok with that how the monoliths created the star out of Jupiter.
    The fact that there is life beyond Earth makes the warring factions on Earth realize just how insignificant their conflict really is. It's a theme that's also in Star Trek. The great peace that came after First Contact. I hope one day we are as level-headed as we are in science fiction.

12. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron

13. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

14. Rain

Rain Producer

Ah, now there's the post I've been waiting for. [​IMG]

15. Jack Briggs

What Rain said.

Oops, I was supposed to get out of this thread. Sorry.

16. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.

17. Jack Briggs

Tony, I'd like to reply, but the way you worded your post results in me answering a series of assumptions.

Arthur C. Clarke sold the rights of several short stories to Stanley Kubrick in 1964, after the two had entered into partnership. Of those stories, Mr. Kubrick preferred the 1949 opus, "The Sentinel."

Essentially, the story's dramatic anchor--the discovery of an alien artifact on the Moon--became the "hook" for the film that was brewing in Stanley Kubrick's head.

After this, the creative work is mostly the director's. The film is his vision (and Arthur Clarke concurs).

But it was Arthur Clarke's job to write a novel based on the ideas he and Stanley Kubrick hammered out. As the director approved or disapproved of the drafts Clarke turned in to him, Mr. Kubrick would work from them to develop the screenplay.

That doesn't qualify as "bastardization."

BTW, "The Sentinel" appeared in the one and only issue ever published of Ten Story Science Fiction magazine. It has been reprinted numerous times ever since.

18. Rain

Rain Producer

19. Ivan Lindenfeld

Ivan Lindenfeld Second Unit

2010 is yet another attempt at cerebral science fiction moviemaking that is reviled by some (Mr. Rain) for it's flaws, not IMNSHO because it is a flawed film as a whole. ST:TMP is the same, particularly the newest version on DVD. It's great moviemaking, to me and great sci-fi moviemaking. Except for the bludgeoning of the point about Soviet-American relations and the damgers of nuclear proliferation, 2010 is as good a movie as ST:TMP. I make this comparison (he explained somewhat redundantly) because I think they are from the same school of filmmaking and certainly more representative of the great sci-fi literature between 1940 and 1970.
    The attempt to seperate 2001 and 2010 as unlike works and with no relation to another simply doesn't hold water. You, Mr. Rain may adore 2001 and consider it one of the best films ever made but 2010 clearly picks up the plot where 2001 left off and is therefore related. Whether they are aesthetically as pleasing to you or whether only Kubrick's films are good and all others are not (you never said that, I mention it to make a point via exhageration) is a personal opinion and one that cannot be argued among intelligent people. [​IMG]
    Francois, I am with you in the deep pool of cynicism but I turn to science fiction to try to convince myself otherwise. [​IMG] For a wonderful example of what we are talking about see Heinlein's "Stranger in a Strange Land". Strange land indeed.
    As a writer I give Clarke full credit for being the seed for Kubrick's story. Often it is the seed that is the most important part of the creative process and everything flows from there.
    I still find 2001 brilliant but I only "got" it after about 6 viewings over the course of 20 years. It's pretty innacessible to most, I think.
    Now, please don't lump me into the category of "Clarke defender" or some such nonsense. 2061 was only a mildly interesting book and 3001 was a complete fucking mess. I am still waiting for Childhood's End to be movie-ized but I will have to live with the "Rendezvous with Rama" that we are getting next year. (I think I just jumped authors but genre remains the same.)
    Thank you all for the contrasting viewpoints. This has been a real critical thought provoker for me. For a Friday evening, anyway.

20. Mohsen Sadeghi

Mohsen Sadeghi Stunt Coordinator