First time poster, some very basic questions:

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by dakine, Mar 31, 2005.

1. dakine

dakine Auditioning

I have been looking to get a 42" HD Plasma TV. That search seems to be going ok. What I am having a very hard time with is figuring out what I should buy as far as surround sound. I was looking at the Bose lifestyle 28 and 38 system. I liked the fact that the speakers are small and the whole thing comes as a nice package. But many people have been telling me NOT to get Bose. They say Bose is overrated and not worth the money. In the range of $2k-3k, can anyone recommend a receiver, speakers, DVD player and anything else that is a must. I would like the receiver/cd/dvd player to be one unit if possible. I appreciate any info! I live in S Fla if that helps steer me to a specific person/store.

Dakine Beckman

2. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

dakine, I doubt very seriously if you are going to get anyone on this or pretty much any other A/V forum to recommend a Bose system. For 2-3K you can get quite a nice system using separate components. It is kind of hard to recommend specific equipment because it all depends pretty much on individual taste and the area which is going to provide the setting for your new system. Room acoustics matter a lot when it comes to choosing audio equipment. One thing I would caution you on though is to NOT get an all in one unit since any part of the unit that goes defective has an impact on the system as a whole. Also, it limits expandability for future component additions. A separate A/V receiver with component switching is a nice place to start and then a good DVD/CD player can be found for reasonable prices. One area not to skimp on is the speakers and subwoofer. Get the best you can afford.[​IMG]

3. Christian M

Christian M Agent

Chuck is right with what he said. Also, Bose = [​IMG] for price/performance and many seem to agree. Also, negative on the all-in-one. It's nice b/c it's all-in-one, but come upgrade time (or worse, upgraditis), you have to can the entire thing. This could cause problems.

Again, like chuck said, get the best you can afford. Lots of great companies out there with awesome products and awesome prices. You can get a very nice setup with 2-3k. For starters, ascend acoustics are great speakers and wont damage the bank. I dont think you can go wrong with a velodyne, Hsu, or SVS for your sub. And pretty much Pioneer, HK, Denon, Onkyo will lead you down a good path for receivers and even dvd players.

Have fun. [​IMG]

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Not a Basics-area question. And since you seem to be focusing on speakers, your thread has been moved to Speakers/Subwoofers. Please read the red-lettered posting atop the Basics-area thread-listing page. Only general discussion at the beginner level. For brand/purchasing advice, go to the appropriate hardware-related section.

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Sony Dream System. Check 'em out. Real cool and very integrated. Exactly what you're looking for at a fraction of the price Bose charges.

6. Leigh_M

Leigh_M Stunt Coordinator

I would visit a local high end audio store and listen to some different brands. this will help you figure out what you like. I take it from you post this will be used primary for movies and not music. IMHO, this gives you a little more lattitude with your set-up.

Since size seems to be an important consideration, I'll throw out a couple options based on two size considerations.

Sub/Sat system (this is where Bose attempts to play)

Polk RM7600 speakers. These speakers go pretty low in base for Sat. speakers. I believe they are out of production so you would have to find them on ebay or closeout somewhere. They are only 5 inches deep making them very easy to "hide".

Small Bookshelf:
    Enegy c-1 or c-3 pared with cc-1 center. Front ported makes placement from a wall less critical.

Boston CR85 and VRC center. I really like the sound of these but they must be purchased locally from a dealer.

Axiom M3Ti or M22Ti with VP150 center. These can be purchased on-line and offer a money back guarantee. These have a strong following on this form.

For a sub, I think you would do very well with any of the SVS subs. Email them with your room dimensions and they will help pick the right sub.

The Pioneer 1014tx Receiver is getiing alot of praise and has an auto calibration feature. I use Yamaha and have been very pleased.

BTW, I have owned all of the above speaker recomendations except the Polk. I have listened too the Polk, but I decided I did not need the space savings of a Sub/Sat system.

Good luck and have fun with your search!